Page 7 of 10

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 10 Aug 2018, 19:01
by lysol
akortunov wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 18:23
Using "Bump Map Luma Scale" indeed fixed On the Rocks! shininess.
Money from Shiny Septims is still shiny - it uses "Bump Map Luma Scale" = 1.
Do they look like bad normal maps (like they do when used with MCP) or like "real" normal maps?

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 10 Aug 2018, 19:08
by akortunov
lysol wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:01
Do they look like bad normal maps (like they do when used with MCP) or like "real" normal maps?
Sorry, I can not compare with MCP.
As for me, it looks like a "bad normal maps": https://imgur.com/a/elzmvOB

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 05:47
by akortunov
I found a guide for DirectX, but I have no idea how to implement something similar with OSG.

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 07:28
by lysol
akortunov wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:08
lysol wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:01
Do they look like bad normal maps (like they do when used with MCP) or like "real" normal maps?
Sorry, I can not compare with MCP.
As for me, it looks like a "bad normal maps": https://imgur.com/a/elzmvOB
Hmm, it's hard to see in that picture. It's easier in a video with set timescale to something like 5000. When used in MCP, the normal maps look kind of "creamy". The normal maps have way too little contrast to look like real normal maps do. If you want, download my conversion of the mod and compare them side by side.

The thing is, if they look kind of like how they look when used with MCP, I personally think we should not merge this. We should encourage people to convert stuff to the correct way instead of encouraging them to keep using this bad hacky way.

If it looks the same though, I guess "hooray" or something.

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 08:18
by Capostrophic
The bump map is applied to the environment map in Morrowind, while normal maps are obviously not in OpenMW. The luminosity changes just make environment map which is applied to the properly normalmapped object less intense (that is, they make the environment map color ("tint") almost black). I have real doubts it will look the same as there (where due to the first fact luma scale changes not only the intensity of the environment map, but the apparent intensity of bump map too).

Also, MCP presumably doesn't suddenly enable using this luma scale parameter -- it's already used -- it applies the ambient and directional lighting of the environment to the environment map so it becomes less bright still (even with these changes, object will still glow in the dark in openmw).

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 09:01
by lysol
Right. So I guess this is a bad solution then. Or rather, maybe it's fine to enable the luma scale parameter, but we shouldn't use it as a solution to the problem. And as you say, it probably isn't a solution since the normal maps might glow in the dark.

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 09:13
by Capostrophic
Er...

What's wrong with using the previously unused parameter to potentially decrease the amount of user complaining??! It'll look exactly like your conversion does but with slight amount of weird glowiness. Let users do whatever they want with their game, not suffer from consequences of shticks of the engine when using NIF format!

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 11 Aug 2018, 14:19
by lysol
I just want people to convert mods the good way instead of keeping it as it is because "it kind of works". But whatever. I guess you're right.

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 12:47
by akortunov
lysol wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 14:19
I just want people to convert mods the good way instead of keeping it as it is because "it kind of works". But whatever. I guess you're right.
A common player will not convert every mod by himself, especially if he uses a modpack (MGSO, for example).
He will be forced to disable mods or return to original engine.

Re: Older bump mapped mods (and how to make them work in OpenMW)

Posted: 12 Aug 2018, 14:28
by lysol
akortunov wrote:
12 Aug 2018, 12:47
lysol wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 14:19
I just want people to convert mods the good way instead of keeping it as it is because "it kind of works". But whatever. I guess you're right.
A common player will not convert every mod by himself, especially if he uses a modpack (MGSO, for example).
He will be forced to disable mods or return to original engine.
Yeah of course, I just hoped that people that converted mods would then upload them to nexus for other people to use. But that hasn't happened, so you're right.