Accuracy of various UESP hints/tips pages, using OpenMW and Patch for Purists

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Travizzle

Accuracy of various UESP hints/tips pages, using OpenMW and Patch for Purists

Post by Travizzle »

I'm running Morrowind GotY Edition, all offiicial plugins, and 2 mods: Patch for Purists, Delayed DB Attacks V2.

For every playthrough on console I followed a few UESP articles:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hint ... _Birthsign

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Starting_Out

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Quest_Timing, and to a much lesser degree,

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Making_Money

I also developed some bad habits on Xbox version (drain skill for cheap training), and drain intelligence for Atronach birth sign.

So, how much of the info in these articles is still relevant with regard to OMW and the mods I have installed? Are alchemy and Summon Ancestor Ghost still the only realistic measure against Atronach stunted magicka?
Travizzle

Re: Accuracy of various UESP hints/tips pages, using OpenMW and Patch for Purists

Post by Travizzle »

For the Quest timing page, all the early quests seem to be OK (minor changes; Murder of the Tax Collector Seyda Neen, the Exquisite ring not on Processus' corpse, presumably on Foryn Gilnith. Also, probably only get 500 gold, not 700 from exploit). Other early quests may have minor bug-fixes.

Most of the early useful spells (telekinesis, levitate) appear to be roughly the same prices, Creeper seems to still work the same way. 100% magic resist alone still doesn't completely eliminate the - effects of Boots of Blinding Speed.

Most of the useful early trinkets are still accessible, most of the useful weapons/armor (glass jinkblade, Redoran Treasury items (presumably, have yet to try; wouldn't be surprised if Vault door no longer coded as solid) Goldbrand, etc) still good.
Most of the Telvanni Mouth quest rewards are still OPAF for early game.

I still need to see if Amulet of Shadows/Daedric Dai-Katana/Azura's Star early access circuit still works. Atronach birth sign, summon ancestral ghost for magic replen is some straight BS; just wanna put that out there.

All-in-all, the only thing I'm missing is easy mode from Drain Intelligence and Drain Skills (because hundreds of hours properly leveling up in Oblivion was worthless enough).
On a related note, can anyone vouch for rushing the Mages' Guild Questline? Worth it for an Atronach play?

Apologies for the format; I write like I think.
Jemolk

Re: Accuracy of various UESP hints/tips pages, using OpenMW and Patch for Purists

Post by Jemolk »

Patch for Purists specifically avoids changing anything that might be considered a rebalance instead of a bugfix, so it shouldn't interfere with anything there. OpenMW itself only changes the engine side of things, not the content file side, so the Drain Intelligence and Drain Skill exploits are the only ones of those that it gets in the way of. I believe I'm on record as being more than a little annoyed about the first one there, but it's overall fine. In fact, I think by now I'd have stopped using it anyway, even if it wasn't effectively patched out, just because it makes things too easy. Also, for the record, when trying to roleplay rather than rest for 34 hours after every fight, the Atronach actually makes it easier, rather than harder, to get your magicka back even as things stand. There's the Ancestral Ghost interaction, but also, two words for ya -- Almsivi Restoration. The sign is absolutely broken AF.

Full magic resist should fully eliminate the Blind effect from the Boots of Blinding Speed. If you're playing an Altmer, you'll need 150% resist to counteract the 50% weakness, and if you're playing a Breton, you'll only need 50% resist to stack with the native 50% resist, and in any case you need the effect active as you equip the boots, but it should work. It'll need at least a 1 second duration, though -- 0 seconds means it doesn't get added at all, for even a frame, seemingly unlike vanilla.
Travizzle

Post by Travizzle »

OK, I have come to the conclusion that I was... having a hard time adjusting from Morrowind on console. You are right, almost everything from those lists is still accurate, minus the *bug fixes*

Yes, the drain Intelligence has me salty, but the drain skill exploit was totally on me, using it as a crutch. My real problem with Almsivi Restore is that until mercantile or whatever is up to Max, 35 gold each time adds up right quick.

As for the Boots of Blinding Speed, I feel so dumb; I forgot that I have to counter Altmer weakness, thank you very much for that lmfao. Looks like I'm hitting up Tel Fyr to thieve me a magic-resist Cuirass.

Now my Merder-Hobo class really is going to be OP af; this is great.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Imperial cult altar 'Restore Attributes' costs 25 gold for non-members and is supposed to do exactly the same as almsivi restoration .

Murder of the Tax Collector Seyda Neen, the Exquisite ring not on Processus' corpse, presumably on Foryn Gilnith. Also, probably only get 500 gold, not 700 from exploit
Yep, processus ring is on Foryn Gilnith.
If you don't report the death of processus (or deny there was any gold on his corpse) you will make 700 gold instead of 500 .

My current character is a honorable warrior in house redoran and roleplaying keeps me from taking those 200 gold.
I did play a thief character briefly however and they followed morrowind legal code :
It's only a crime if you get caught doing it.

That character did keep the 200 gold from processus (and also robbed fargoth for 300 gold and "accidentally on purpose" forgot to give hrisskar his share)

Edit : keep in mind that cuirass requires high security skill or Ekash locksplitter.
Travizzle

Post by Travizzle »

Thanks for locksplitter info; I tried the usual way for Tax Man quest: find corpse, confront/kill Foryn, get paid 700 total. With the Patch for Purists? or OpenMW, they fixed it, can't kill Foryn first, otherwise quest is broken. Need to find corpse, inform Census, then kill Foryn. No extra gold.
ezze

Post by ezze »

The pages often have messages like "This bug is fixed in Morrowind Code Patch" and similar. So if something differs thanks the Patch for Purist I think it is acceptable and welcome to edit the page and explain.