Full graphics overhaul ...

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezze

Full graphics overhaul ...

Post by ezze »

Is there a full graphics overhaul without fiddling with dozen of mods?

I don't mind change something there and there (like this Desertic Molag Amur), but since I have little time I'd like to start with a solid foundation.

For textures, I know the classics Morrowind Visual Pack and Connary's Textures. But to cover clothes, npc, and creatures seems a nightmare.

It there something comprehensive?

If not, I guess I'll go Watercolored.
vtastek

Re: Full graphics overhaul ...

Post by vtastek »

People like mods. Hunting for mods is half the fun. I like it modular, I even mix and match. Better mods are released all the time. You are on outdated stuff with packs.
ezze

Post by ezze »

To have a comprehensive solution does not stop anyone to look for mods or mix and match, it gives you a solid base.
That's exactly why MET or Intelligent textures are so popular.
vtastek

Post by vtastek »

I also used the classic mods you cited as a base, then updated(and also mixed and matched) with the newer ones you cited. That's what a mod hunter would do?

I mean, it is very hard to compose an overhaul, AI assist aside, let alone keep it up to date. I was a supporter of MGSO, I filed its first bug and it is still there after all this time. Engagement and released mods plummeted after its release, it almost killed the scene because it was good enough(for a while). It would be a lot harder to convince modders to contribute to an overhaul today but if someone wants to do it, nothing is stopping them.

There is one who is trying: MGO 2020, I don't know its latest status.
https://discord.gg/uu8wmaS

These days mod lists/guides are more popular, Morrowind Modding Community has a bunch:
https://discord.gg/HQy3xyh
havx

Post by havx »

So I've spent months, hundreds of hours, compiling 483 mods (so far) to completely overhaul the game. I've "touched" a majority of the mods in some way to fix little things with meshes or textures. Testing the load order, compatibility with other mods, etc. I tried to keep track of links to the OG mods and of exactly what I did along the way so that I could eventually post a guide to ensure all the creators get the credit they rightly deserve. I wish I tried harder and spent more time on keeping track so that I could share with the community my vision of a overhaul and help those who don't have the ambition or time or know-how to overhaul their game.

I could zip up my work, sitting around 24 GB of data at the moment, to make it as easy as extracting it to a location, edit my openmw.cfg file to match your file structure, then bam you're ready to start playing... but I honestly don't know how to go about making sure all credit is given to the mod authors and get permission from every creator to even do this. I don't want to break any of the norms and expectations of the modding community when it comes to this kind of "pack".

When things calm down IRL for me, and replenish my mental fortitude, I hope go through my work and compile a guide for the community.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Unfortunately, it's pretty rare for Elder Scrolls mods to have open enough permissions to do anything like sticking several in a zip together, even if you credit the original authors. In much the same way as you can't legally stick the latest Avengers film on YouTube and stick Disney made this, not me in the video description to somehow make it legal, you can't redistribute mods, even with credit given, unless the mod author granted you permission to do so.
havx

Post by havx »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 15:38 Unfortunately, it's pretty rare for Elder Scrolls mods to have open enough permissions to do anything like sticking several in a zip together, even if you credit the original authors. In much the same way as you can't legally stick the latest Avengers film on YouTube and stick Disney made this, not me in the video description to somehow make it legal, you can't redistribute mods, even with credit given, unless the mod author granted you permission to do so.
Yeah that's my understanding of it. A detailed list and steps like this is the goal I had in mind when I started and what I hope to accomplish, some day:
https://modding-openmw.com/lists/total-overhaul/
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 15:38 Unfortunately, it's pretty rare for Elder Scrolls mods to have open enough permissions to do anything like sticking several in a zip together, even if you credit the original authors.
That problem can be easily circumvented by using the portmod mod manager, which takes care of downloading each mod and merge them together while also fixing race conditions, incompatibilities, etc. It's just a matter of creating a set with all the mods you want and voila'.
ezze

Post by ezze »

That problem can be easily with a long work circumvented by using the portmod mod manager...
Mollyia

Post by Mollyia »

I've noticed, concerning myself, that graphics replacers can be in some way unappealing. The more mods that are added the more likely something odd is going to be worse then the 'low poly' tree I looked at needing overhaul.

My point is I would like to 'go in' concerning things I am installing tonight. That is not possible without knowing terms like esp, esm, or bsa. Anyway, wanting an overhaul to solve it all, lol, I recall Oblivion's FCOM. These don't come without a price paid with attitude.

I modded Morrowind a decade ago. Watching the modding rules and processes of the community unfold amid works of art was amazing, so eat the GNU candies. Even 10 years later they are sweet!