OpenMW 0.46.0 Video Complaining Thread

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Ferk

Re: OpenMW 0.46.0 Video Complaining Thread

Post by Ferk »

I always hear about how a lot of the top Youtubers that do commentary videos have one person working as editor doing most of the editing job for them. My impression is that their editor chooses the audio, cuts, makes the transitions, adds effects, designs thumbnails and does general post-production. Basically one person does all the editing job, but the material itself and the narration is done separately (the content, basically).

I expect there's a relationship of trust between the content creator and the editor, if too overzealous no content creator would be happy with any editor, or no editor would want to work for a content creator that's too nick-picky about wanting things to go in a particular way. The feeling I get is that the editor is given artistic freedom and the content creator just reviews the final work hopefully without endless feedback loops.

I wonder if it might make sense to reach out to Youtube creators that have good knowledge of Morrowind, are friendly to the project, have seen the format that is used in OpenMW videos and already are proficient at collaborating in such workflow. It might also help giving it some more exposure since usually Youtube collaborations tend to help both ways bringing the subscribers from each channel to notice the other.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Ferk wrote: 28 May 2020, 17:42 I don't know about their workflow, but I always hear about how almost all of the top Youtubers have one person working as editor doing most of the editing job for them, choosing the audio, cutting, making the transitions, adding effects, choosing thumbnails and general post-production.
Well, that sounds like the "splitting horizontally" option in my previous post, specifically with a dedicated editor and with a supervisor which also is in charge of the script and recording footage. I pointed out pros and cons of that option in general, but to your specific version:
  • What you're proposing is more or less our status quo, but replacing johnnyhostile or me with another (professional) person for cutting and stuff. I don't expect a massive time gain from that (in total).
  • The back and forth between the supervisor (let's say "us") and that editor might be even more pronounced compared to a small team recruited from OpenMW team members - or a two-man team working on both videos in parallel like I would prefer.
  • Who pays the professional editor? We are talking about 50+ bucks per hour, maybe less if we can find a Morrowind/OpenMW fan.
Ferk wrote: 28 May 2020, 17:42 I wonder if it might make sense to reach out to Youtube creators that have good knowledge of Morrowind, are friendly to the project, have seen the format that is used in OpenMW videos and already are proficient at video editing. It might also help giving it some more exposure since usually Youtube collaborations tend to help both ways bringing the subscribers from each channel to notice the other.
Collaborations might be useful for special videos (e.g., our 1.0.0 video). For a regular release video, arranging the collaboration while maintaining our video format sounds like more effort for the same result - plus increased attention, of course, but that is not the point of this discussion, right? Also, to be clear: a lack of video editing skills has never been the reason for a delay.
johnnyhostile
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/hristoast

Post by johnnyhostile »

For what it's worth:

This has been a huge learning experience for me, and I don't expect future videos to take quite as long. I'm planning to do a writeup about it once it's out there, so be on the lookout for that if you are interested.