What really went wrong with Morrowind?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezzetabi

What really went wrong with Morrowind?

Post by ezzetabi »

As we all know Morrowind is buggy and it might be improved in many ways.

Yet, there are few things that even in the original vision of the game are wrong. I am not talking about: ``I do not like it'' or obvious bugs (i.e., unarmored that does not work while naked), but more ``It does not have sense!''

Here is what I found really without sense:

- Feather effect, it cost as Fortify Strength but it is inferior to it in any way!
- Burden effect, same idea: it costs as Drain Strength but less effective in any way.
- Open effect and Telekinesis, they make the Security skill useless.
- Potion and Intelligence... we know the deal.
- Medium Armors: there is no reason to take them.

Do you think there are some other obviously wrong parts in unmodded Morrowind?
Ace (SWE)

Re: What really went wrong with Morrowind?

Post by Ace (SWE) »

The ridiculous duration and area slider values when spellmaking/enchanting.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

levitate 1 point, for 1 second on self prevents taking ANY damage from falling since it just stops you instantly.
EmbraceUnity

Post by EmbraceUnity »

I hear what you are saying about medium armor, and security, and all that... but at the end of the day as far as major features go I think everything was awesome about Morrowind. Even the things that sucked were awesome. Give you some examples:

When you just spawn a character, you can be killed by a mudcrab. I've had this happen, I'm ashamed to admit. However, on the other hand there is definitely something awesome about the very visible progress in Morrowind. You start off feeling like a peon and end up feeling like a god. Love that!

Or like how in Morrowind you are forced to go to so many places on foot... sure, this makes it take forever just to complete certain minor quests, but it makes the game so much better. You end up exploring the world, and learning the territory.

However, in the spirit of this thread I will mention a few things:

I think gold was too easy to come by. It was too easy to sell stuff to merchants for obscene amounts of gold... repeatedly. Training and enchanting services were good to use the gold for, so it wasn't totally worthless, but I would've liked some economy fixes... when you flood the market with a single item, the prices should drop.

I would also say that the guards work strangely. They are too easy to evade, yet remember you wherever you go no matter how small the offense. In Oblivion there was a mod called Reneer's Guard Overhaul, but I don't know if such a mod exists for Morrowind.

Full invisibility is also pretty much a cheat, and combining constant effect invisibility objects was just way too powerful. Perfect invisibility shouldn't even exist, and it should be harder to attain constant effect invisibility. Harder to find such items, fewer of them... etc. Perhaps transitioning to invisibility should take awhile.

Perhaps invisibility should be outlawed just like necromancy, and if anyone sees you transition to an invisible state they'll report you to the guards. Come to think of it, though, I don't think I've ever received any bounties on my head for summoning the dead in public. That is a true bug.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

sirherrbatka wrote:levitate 1 point, for 1 second on self prevents taking ANY damage from falling since it just stops you instantly.
Ahah... yes! I always used 60 seconds of Slowfall 1 pts to avoid falling damage.

You made me recall that I made a micro-mod that changed the ``Shrine to Stop the Moon'': originally it gave 24 minutes of Levitate 100 pts; I changed it so it gave Levitate 100 pts for 24 minutes AND Slowlfall 1 pts for 25 minutes. So you could fly without worries...

In fact I think that was another senseless small thing of morrowind... nice Shrine, but do not fly too high!
Last edited by ezzetabi on 05 Apr 2012, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

EmbraceUnity wrote:[...]but at the end of the day as far as major features go I think everything was awesome about Morrowind.
Yes, of course. This is the reason why after 10 years there are still so many players and great projects like OpenMW.

Yet, it is fun speaking also of the ``What were they thinking?'' parts and not only in the technical aspects like the ugly scripting.

But speaking of gameplay features what seems crazy. Seriously, think to the Feather... really Bethesda employees forgot that Fortify Strength is 5 times more effective (and increase melee damage too)?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

In fact I think that was another senseless small thing of morrowind... nice Shrine, but do not fly too high!
It's the Vivec's master plan to eliminate the most stupid candidates. ;-)
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

That depends on the effect weights and the resulting gains of strength vs Feather, too. I don't remember how "cheap" it is to enchant feather versus strength.

As well, making your character stronger as a mage seems kind of counterproductive to your character. For this reason Feather has a serious purpose.

Chock it up to just trying to settle the mechanic. You can't spend forever deciding how Strength and feather works on a professional budget.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

The most retarded thing about Morrowind? You can run faster by going sideways (hold W + A or D)
I hope this is fixed in our new physics implementation.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

scrawl wrote:The most retarded thing about Morrowind? You can run faster by going sideways (hold W + A or D)
I hope this is fixed in our new physics implementation.
Ha, ah yes the strafe speed boost. That's in alot of games, though. One of the most famous being Quake III Arena, if any of you are FPS gamers. Isn't it like this currently in OpenMW? I think I've noticed the extra speed just flying around with collision turned off but it could be placebo.