To modders, would you like an esm disassembler?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezzetabi

To modders, would you like an esm disassembler?

Post by ezzetabi »

Time ago when I was writing mods I seldom needed to hack the .esm files using an hexeditor. For example I remember adding hundreds of spell effects; this action would be impossible (in reasonable time) with the TES or even with Enchanted Editor.

(esm file format)

So I thought about making an esm disassembler* a program that converts the .esm file to a easy to read and easy to write textual format and changes it back.
Actually only few kinds of records and sub-record would be converted, the other would be placed as hex blob. But, even for those editing would be easier.

In order to understand if there was interest I posted about it on the planet elder scroll forum; but I got only few confused answer so I gave up. (laziness is strong...)

Out of curiosity, would be anyone interested here? Did you ever needed a lower level textual approach to esm files?

*I know there is not assembly involved, it is just the best word I can think.
gus

Re: To modders, would you like an esm disassembler?

Post by gus »

ezzetabi, i love you! You had a more complete doc about ESM than me, and you just saved me hours of troubles!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Time ago when I was writing mods I seldom needed to hack the .esm files using an hexeditor. For example I remember adding hundreds of spell effects; this action would be impossible (in reasonable time) with the TES or even with Enchanted Editor.

So I thought about making an esm disassembler* a program that converts the .esm file to a easy to read and easy to write textual format and changes it back.
Actually only few kinds of records and sub-record would be converted, the other would be placed as hex blob. But, even for those editing would be easier.
I hope that our new editor will make such a tool redundant. The GUI should be able to handle more complex tasks. And we should probably consider adding a Python interface that allows to mass manipulate records via a script.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

gus wrote:ezzetabi, i love you! You had a more complete doc about ESM than me, and you just saved me hours of troubles!
Well, you are welcome. It was the file I used when I wrote code to mass add stuff to yalsm mod of mine.
Zini wrote:I hope that our new editor will make such a tool redundant. The GUI should be able to handle more complex tasks. And we should probably consider adding a Python interface that allows to mass manipulate records via a script.
Python interface is a fine idea too.
TheCatLord

Post by TheCatLord »

Greetings,

I'm a modder. I would very much appreciate this "esm disassembler" as you call it. I'm looking forward to the OpenMW Construction Set, too.

Humbly,
The Cat Lord