Arx Fatalis

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ElderTroll

Arx Fatalis

Post by ElderTroll »

Hey everyone!

Did you know that this game's engine was released as GPL last year? I am just started to dig into how much progress has been made on the source code over the last 14 months. It certainly doesn't look like there's a comparable modding community. I wonder if anything at all could be of use to OpenMW. Very interesting though. Imagine if you guys had all the source code at your fingertips what you'd be able to do!
raevol

Re: Arx Fatalis

Post by raevol »

I've always wanted to play this. Thanks for sharing!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Holy crap, never heard of it before and just downloaded the demo and compiled the code. Amazing. I think it might be worth the 5$ from steam.

Install instructions here:
https://github.com/arx/ArxLibertatis#readme

Demo and instructions:
http://arx.parpg.net/Getting_the_game_data

If anyone needs it, I could probably generate some debs too.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I played this game last month. It had issues on linux but very cool gameplay and sound effects.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

sir_herrbatka wrote:I played this game last month. It had issues on linux but very cool gameplay and sound effects.
I only use Linux and have never played it before, so for me... things seem to work. Then again I've only played for 30 minutes.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Nah, It's completly playable, just not perfect yet ;-)

PS
The wort bug I enocourted left me floating in the air. It was game over. At least It didn't happend at the end of the game ;-)
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I haven't played Arx Fatalis, but it sounds interesting. There are probably a lot of reasons why the Elder Scrolls became so popular and Arx Fatalis didn't, but I think a dark underworld just isn't as interesting as an open world.

I think their project would be wise to add the ability to load in models and textures from Morrowind (justify it through only the model and texture replacers). I wonder if they have a scripting language and a construction kit... There are a lot of possibilities related to this though.

Another interesting fact is that ZeniMax owns the development company. I was wondering how Bethesda's recent purchase of Id would effect Id's policy of open sourcing aged technology. Since ZeniMax purchased Arx Fatalis's dev company in 2007 and they released the source of Arx in 2011 it looks like ZeniMax is pretty good about it and it gives credence to Bethesda saying the reason Morrowind isn't open sourced is because of the ip rights owned by other companies.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I don't think that morrowind can go open source unless gamebryo in version used in MW goes.

But since daggerfall is still closed source I guess that bethesda won't open any TES engine.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Morrowind is going open source. There is project known as... what was that. Oh yeah: openMW. It has some problems, but it will see the light of the day. ;)
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

WOW! Never heared about openmw before ;-)