Morrowind Construction Set

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ElderTroll

Morrowind Construction Set

Post by ElderTroll »

Should we start a campaign to convince Bethesda to release the construction set for Morrowind as open source? I know legal issues concerning property rights are part of the reason Bethesda hasn't released Morrowind as open source, but are there legal reasons why the construction set would be prevented from being open sourced? It would definitely help us out as well as the rest of the Morrowind modding community.

It would safe us a lot of coding effort and it could be a good PR thing for Morrowind's 10th birthday.
hircine

Re: Morrowind Construction Set

Post by hircine »

the Data format for both Nif's, BSA's and ESM/P's are all still being used as proprietary software. Unless the NIF format went open source and bethesda made their formats open source, they wouldn't release the tool as open.

The actual way everything works is pretty similar to current CS's so beth want to keep it closed so that competitors don't have direct access.

pretty much 0 chance. :(

I've installed a Qt4 and some other libraries, looking at getting a starting point with the OpenCS.

tbh the CS is buggy, I don't want it!

WE MAKE OUR OWN!

buggy CS :P
which is more better. (superb English skills here >:D )
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Campaigns like that are usually a waste of time. We should appreciate that Bethesda at very least release the old games are freeware.

Yet, Bethesda worked with Id in the game Rage... maybe we can tell them: be cool as Id! They released the doom3 engine source recently.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Honestly, the TES3-CS is junk. Complete and utter junk. We definitely don't want it. We still have our plans for our own CS and I suspect building it from scratch will actually faster than improve the TES3-CS to a usable state (usable as in: you don't feel the need to hit the screen with your fist while using it).
hircine

Post by hircine »

Zini, perhaps we should revitalize the CS thread and get things organized?

I'm one who would love to work on it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I am still waiting for the first pieces of code from pvdk. He said a while back, that he was working on it.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

What about exisiting editors for ogre that other people have developed for their projects. Might it be worthwhile to look around and see if there isn't something that already exists that we can use?
Zini

Post by Zini »

What you are talking about are scene editors. But for us the 3D scene is only a tiny part; actually barely more than an afterthought. The CS does a lot more and the Plugin structure requires a very unusual backend (not to mention that I am in major disagreement for the majority of UI decisions on the editors I have seen so far).
Reusing an existing editor is not an option. At best we can re-use some of the 3D-editing code, but it really won't make much of a difference.