What are your favourite mods?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezzetabi

What are your favourite mods?

Post by ezzetabi »

I am surprised that there is not already this topic in the Off Topic section, so here it is.

Please do not just dump your morrowind.ini mod section, but tell us about the mod that you really like and why.

Antares Big Mod, this is the best mod ever. Seriously. It makes Morrowind a real RP game where you can actually feel your position in the various factions.

Starfires NPC Additions this mod makes the world much more alive adding lots of NPC in logical and meaningful places. It is conceptually similar to Morrowind Comes Alive, but not so much overdone.

I also use lots of ecology mod that make the environment more believable and not just a bunch of crazy animals.

I also shameless post two plugins of mine:
Yet another level system mod because it increase immersion.

Failure Based Learning because makes the game more interesting pushing the player to seek great and greater challenges.
sirherrbatka

Re: What are your favourite mods?

Post by sirherrbatka »

Hm.

GCD since I hate orginal morrowind character development (seems to be so artificial).

Helluva mods since I love collecting stuff.

Horror mod. Very good dugeon crawling mod. I like dugeon crawling a lot :-) + other quest mods.

Spellcasting cost reduction based on skill level.

Less generic NPC's

That would be my favorites.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I only ever really used two mods, one changed the graphic for enchanted items to a blue dot, more like Oblivion. The other changed road signposts to actually be readable, which was amazing. No more running up to signs to mouseover them to see what they said...
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@ezzetabi
I'm wonder If you would stick to promoting failed attempts If you could alter character development in other ways.

This mod seems to be excelent for alchemy or even combat but it seems silly in security (find a door with 100 level lockpick and train). Also It can make advancing in spellcasting skills a lot harder.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Are you talking about failure based learning?

It does have problems, but with the limitation of the morrowind scripting engine I could not do much more. Btw, security is unchanged and you need fewer spell failures than spell successes to increase the skill.

My dream is making the skill increase proportional to the chance.

Imagine x as the chance of success, so x is a number in [0-1].

If you succeed your skill increase is weighted with (-x+1) i.e., if I succeed and it was very easy (x was almost 1) I learn little-to-nothing; on the other hand if it was very difficult (x was almost 0) and I succeed I learn much.

if you fail your skill increase is weighted with x i.e., if it was very difficult (x was almost 0) and I failed I learn little-to-nothing; on the other hand if it was easy and still I failed I learn much.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Yes, I thought that you would prefer something like this ;-)

I would love something like this too. And a lot can be done to achieve this (like making reparing badly damaged armor and weapon harder).
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

The two mods of mine I linked in the first post was made to fix two things I find annoying.

- Unnatural level-up system that make the initial decisions too much important, influence the whole game and soon hinder character development. For example: security might seems a good choice for a primary attribute until you make a Ring of Lock Splitter
- The player is pushed to take easy challenges: like fight weak enemies or cast weak spells.

Failure Based Learning is meant to ``fix'' the second point. Any other idea to the same goal might be good or better.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Yes, I see your point. The mod has a sense (and a skill list makes sense a lot), but to me it's just a hack around broken system. No offense, GCD (I like this one a lot) is a hack as well, and there is just no oder way to fix anything in MW.

I didn't know that doing something like this would be even possible with MW.

OTOH with openmw you would be able to fix morrowind mechanics for everybody joy :ugeek:
trikorder

Post by trikorder »

I wonder if you know this mod list compiled by btb. This guy wrote a lot but if you are interested on Morrowind economy design flaws and solutions among many other things, you might consider reading it. On top of that I found myself laughing out loud many times by reading this. This supposed to be a consistent set of compatible mods, however I did not try myself all of them out, but I used quite a few out of these mods.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@ezze

Your mod is a good idea. It could make the game feel more epic and rewarding by having the player frequently die as they pit themselves against powerful opponents. In short- more alive. I'm reminded of the games demon souls and dark souls and the positive things I've read about them.

I think another interesting mod would be normally hostile npc's judging how strong your character is by the equipment you have equipped. I see this mostly used while traveling along roads and in the wilderness.

When a normally hostile enemy in vanilla MW sees your character a script would add up the total of your equipped gear (defense + offense) against their. The total difference correlates to a percentage to attack. The way that this would look to someone playing is a bandit has seen me walking by with an iron sword and some cheap clothes, they assumed I was weaker then them and they are now extorting me for money or simply attacking me.

But if I am wearing beautiful armor and wielding a high level enchanted sword or the nicest mages robes and a powerful staff and I pass by a lone bandit sitting in a makeshift encampment with low level gear- they are most likely going to decide to let me pass while maybe still throwing an insulting comment. Maybe if asked they say something like, "Most people dressed the way you are have done a lot of things much worse then me, most likely to people like me. I don't want any trouble." Maybe those characters could become permanently set as passive.

Gear differences could translate to percentages for attack behavior, so it's still randomized. There could still be a low level bandit who is hot headed and wants to prove himself like gunslingers in the old west. Maybe the player can infer some interesting backstory for the rare instance where a high level bandit chooses not to attack your low level character. Maybe their could be a dialogue tree for the NPC in such instances, maybe this bandit tells you that you are the spitting image of a friend who has died, or that it is a holy day for them, or they are ill, etc.

It might be extremely fun to be a powerful mage who travels dressed in rags decimating the bandit population and protecting travelers of Morrowind. With rumors spreading from town to town about such a hero.

I can dream