A discussion about choosing a scripting language

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ElderTroll

A discussion about choosing a scripting language

Post by ElderTroll »

A new scripting language is probably a long way off, but I found an interesting read.

Here's a developer blog by an indie studio about deciding on what scripting language to implement. They have a pretty good breakdown of different language options and there's a lively comments section. blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Choosing-a-scripting-language

A quick side note, their new game looks crazy fun. I wish I had a better computer.
Zini

Re: A discussion about choosing a scripting language

Post by Zini »

A new scripting language is probably a long way off
We are not planning to have a new scripting language everl. The current one is fine. Most of the modding community has lots of practical experience with it. Yes, it has a few quirks, but they are fixable.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Zini wrote:
A new scripting language is probably a long way off
We are not planning to have a new scripting language everl. The current one is fine. Most of the modding community has lots of practical experience with it. Yes, it has a few quirks, but they are fixable.
For some value of "fine"

IMHO it is really really horrible. But then I have no intention of writing anything in it ever again, so I couldn't care less.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The original virtual machine it is running on is horrible. The rest is no worse than most other C-like scripting languages IMHO, not counting missing functionality obviously.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Zini wrote:The original virtual machine it is running on is horrible. The rest is no worse than most other C-like scripting languages IMHO, not counting missing functionality obviously.
Ok. I agree, for what is was designed to do it was fine (excluding the editor, compiler and quirks). For the use it was put to it wasn't quite as good (Mods with very complex scripts, script extenders etc).
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

About the original poster, one answer: Python. Never look back.

Yet I agree with Zini. The real problem is not the language itself but the lack of obvious functionalities in its implementation and strange quirks.

It was long time ago, but I remember that it seemed that Bethesda did not know the difference between class and instance or how their game worked (base stat vs modified stat)...

It seems they never designed the scripting system, but started adding pieces when needed without even checking what was already done.
Last edited by ezzetabi on 07 Feb 2012, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

ezzetabi wrote:About the original poster, one answer: Python. Never look back.
^-- this