Hoping someday OpenMW can look this good

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Re: Hoping someday OpenMW can look this good

Post by lysol »

halbe wrote:...I'll be sending out requests to mod authors about whether I can compile their mods into one big mega overhaul for OpenMW once I finish testing out everything and making compatibility patches (currently at ~410 mods). I guess I might as well ask you now, would you be okay with me including your Vivec textures in it? I'll include a link to your mod and contact info if you wish. Otherwise I'll just find another retexture and edit it to be more like yours.
I imagine it'd be hard to get in contact with authors to over 400 mods, but you get my permission at least. :)
halbe

Post by halbe »

DestinedToDie wrote:.osg files lack collision mesh, you will increase physics by converting all nif to .osg. Png files are slower to load, you will cause additional overhead if you convert them from .dds.
DDS files may also be using DXT1/3/5 compression, so converting them to png can increase vram usage.
Is there a better image type I can use? .dds isn't very well supported in most image editing programs. I'll definitely wait until .osg can support all the features of .nif files that are being used by Morrowind.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

halbe wrote: Is there a better image type I can use?
OpenSceneGraph supports png, gif, jpeg, tiff, tga, bmp, dds and some other specialized image file formats via plugins.

DDS is superior for OpenMW's case nevertheless.
halbe

Post by halbe »

lysol wrote:
halbe wrote:...I'll be sending out requests to mod authors about whether I can compile their mods into one big mega overhaul for OpenMW once I finish testing out everything and making compatibility patches (currently at ~410 mods). I guess I might as well ask you now, would you be okay with me including your Vivec textures in it? I'll include a link to your mod and contact info if you wish. Otherwise I'll just find another retexture and edit it to be more like yours.
I imagine it'd be hard to get in contact with authors to over 400 mods, but you get my permission at least. :)
Ok thanks! And it seems that most of the mods have permission given in the readme as long as the modder is credited for their work. The only grey area will be the people who don't respond and don't have any permission given in the readme, I think I'll just include those for the same reason that GOG sells abandonware and allow people to send me DMCA requests.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

halbe wrote: Ok thanks! And it seems that most of the mods have permission given in the readme as long as the modder is credited for their work. The only grey area will be the people who don't respond and don't have any permission given in the readme, I think I'll just include those for the same reason that GOG sells abandonware and allow people to send me DMCA requests.
Keep in mind that GOG doesn't do that (I don't know that they ever did). Rather, GOG sells things that used to be unlicensed, but it has acquired a license to do so and as such has some official backing (and if GOG loses a license, they stop selling that game).

I'm not really trying to stop you here, but keep in mind that you're going into gray legal waters, and they're more gray than you might think. It is likely that nobody minds having their mods included in stuff so long after the game their mods were created for was released, which is really the fundamental criteria for whether or not you get sued, but you also need to recognize that you're doing it without license, which makes it very different from what GOG is doing.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

halbe wrote:I'll definitely wait until .osg can support all the features of .nif files that are being used by Morrowind.
Nobody is working on .osg right now, to my knowledge. You could be waiting for years, if not indefinitely.
halbe

Post by halbe »

DestinedToDie wrote:
halbe wrote:I'll definitely wait until .osg can support all the features of .nif files that are being used by Morrowind.
Nobody is working on .osg right now, to my knowledge. You could be waiting for years, if not indefinitely.
Then indefinitely I will wait! Though, I doubt that'll be necessary because I don't see why the .osg format would have been implemented in the first place if noone was interested in replacing .nifs as the standard model file. Anyways worst case scenario I don't have to convert a shit ton of files so I'll be fine no matter what.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

halbe wrote:Then indefinitely I will wait! Though, I doubt that'll be necessary because I don't see why the .osg format would have been implemented in the first place if noone was interested in replacing .nifs as the standard model file. Anyways worst case scenario I don't have to convert a shit ton of files so I'll be fine no matter what.
No one made the osg format to replace nif, osg was a native format for the OpenSceneGraph (OSG) scenegraph library. It was made without any thought about other formats, like NIF, which is why there is no kf/animation support. OSG drives the .osg file format, not OpenMW. We got it 'for free' because OpenMW uses OSG, same with all the other image file formats.

What is to stop you from using NIF with Blender 2.77+ these days? :)
https://github.com/niftools/blender_nif_plugin
^-- hint, we need more testers, especially for animation.

Another solution would be to support other formats such as COLLADA.
Chris

Post by Chris »

halbe wrote:Is there a better image type I can use? .dds isn't very well supported in most image editing programs.
Why do you need to edit them? Typically images are created and edited using your editor's native format, which saves a lot more information that's useful to continue editing it, and then converted/exported to something like DDS (which strips out the information that's unnecessary for the game). Also, DXT compression is a bit lossy, so decompressing it to raw RGB(A) to edit, and then compressing it back to DXT again, will make the image messier.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Someone found a model format that was open, intended for real-time applications (so loads quickly and has as much stuff as is sensible precomputed) which supported pretty much every feature we needed and had provision for extension a while back. I can't remember what it was called, but I think it might have been Methelina who suggested it.