[U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
cc9cii

Re: [U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Post by cc9cii »

Zini wrote:It's official now: Here is our new project. We also have a video up.
Congratulations! It's always great to see a project delivered.
no functioning access to references in unloaded cells
I think this can be resolved - I've been thinking about how to implement radient ai and having access to refs without loading graphics/physics would be a necessity.
Even with 1.0 OpenMW wouldn't have been ready for us. We would have needed at least the de-hardcoding pass. And even then OpenMW is clearly behind UE4 in regards to graphics, AI and physics.
So true. It's hard to do with a few volunteers who have different levels of desire/skill/time/etc something that paid teams of devs have done. I still would like to think that we can get close enough to these engines, even though the purpose of OpenMW as an open source engine seems to have diminished.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I think this can be resolved - I've been thinking about how to implement radient ai and having access to refs without loading graphics/physics would be a necessity.
That is resolved in OpenMW. It was just too late for us.
I still would like to think that we can get close enough to these engines, even though the purpose of OpenMW as an open source engine seems to have diminished.
Agreed.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Regarding the old Redemption asserts: The decision was made to not release what we currently have. It is rather messy and we are not overly comfortable with releasing any of our work in this state.

I can have a talk with Corv about the graphics assets. We do have quite a few very nice models. But I can't promise anything at this point and we won't look into this right now. At this time we just have too many other things on our minds.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

No worries, your ball(s). :)

It would just be a pity to see any assets begin to bit-rot away on someone's drive where it could instead be given new life somewhere else. At least get attributed for your hard work. :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

The topic came up and Corv has agreed to release quite a lot of our material. Here is what we came up with: We will remove all the unfinished stuff, meaning basically all features, NPCs, story and so on and then release the project with just the worldbuilding left. This will include of course all the models. And those models that were made especially for Redemption we release with a license that allows reuse in things like the example suite. We will also release some additional material (story documents).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

\o/ Amazing! :o

What kind of license? Can we push for a CC-BY or a CC-BY-SA license? When you mean remove unfinished stuff, do you mean that the U:R story itself will not be released? That sounds fabulous either way! Thank you!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Just the landscape, buildings and the interiors. The exterior is finished but is still missing the final polishing pass. The interiors are partially finished.

Corv is trying to get the download ready this week but that will be with the generic undefined "MW-modding license", since we include a lot of resources from the community (with permission of the respective creators of course) and several retextured vanilla MW models. These we obviously can't just relicense. I guess we will have to go over the models and sort things out. That will be most likely a job for next year. We can then look at the license for our own models again. I am not opposed to anything CC-BY.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Heightmap data might be yours, but EA could conceivably cause issues if the landscape is "recognisably" Britannia. A -NC license might be a better bet for the landscape at least.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I really like the video -- very atmospheric. The world looks really beautiful and your "no UI" approach is like a childhood dream coming true. :) *expectation level raised to 95*
Zini

Post by Zini »

Just a heads-up: Something else came up and the release of the old Redemption files got delayed. No ETA yet.