[U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: [U IX:R] Titans of Ether announcement?

Post by psi29a »

Amazing! :D

Now it is time to go through... sorting content and what have you.

We'll need to figure out what assets are 100% created by UIX:R team, those that were modified from 3rd-party assets, and those that are from Bethesda/Morrowind itself. Once that is done, we can figure out what licenses are appropriate and see how it fits OpenMW's Template and Example-Suite.

@Zini: does anyone have any history on this, or how they can help? :)

@Destined: Great screenshots! :) Do you perhaps have an idea as to origins of some of the assets just by eye-balling them?

<3
You can use all our files without further permission. Continue to create UIX, use them in your own mod, whatever you like. This is our present to you. (more about the files in the readme).
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I don't know what's a mod asset from a morrowind modder and what's from the Titans of Ether team. All I know is what's without a doubt a Morrowind asset.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

From the Readme PDF:
5.) How you can use those files (“license”)
You cannot use any of the included files for a commercial project. All the Morrowind files belong to
Bethesda/ZeniMax Media. “Ultima” is owned by Electronic Arts.
You can however use all the files to create our own Morrowind mod or to continue development on
UIX Redemption.
All the files we, Titans of Ether, created can be used in other non-profit projects as well.
Be so kind and list us in the credits.
@Zini & Team: It seems the default license is something like CC-BY-SA-NC. I can understand the "no commercial projects" when it comes to Bethesda IP (Morrowind) and EA (Ultima), but surely we can reach a better agreement over assets created by the UIX:R team right?

Don't get me wrong, this is great. Thank you guys so much for doing this! :D
dudezzz

Post by dudezzz »

I just installed this onto a new GOG installation of Morrowind, but when I start a new game in (a new install of the latest version of) OpenMW I'm stuck floating in a featureless ocean. I can't access my character screen, inventory, or (crucially) map. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: FWIW I ran UIX using morrowind.exe and it worked just fine. I'm having a good time exploring. Thanks! I look forward to the Kickstarter for your new project.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@Zini & Team: It seems the default license is something like CC-BY-SA-NC. I can understand the "no commercial projects" when it comes to Bethesda IP (Morrowind) and EA (Ultima), but surely we can reach a better agreement over assets created by the UIX:R team right?
I should have news regarding this issue soon. May require taking you up on your offer to help out. I am currently in email contact with the 3D artist who originally created these assets. Yes, that was really just one guy. Extremely talented and productive.
Zini

Post by Zini »

dudezzz wrote:I just installed this onto a new GOG installation of Morrowind, but when I start a new game in (a new install of the latest version of) OpenMW I'm stuck floating in a featureless ocean. I can't access my character screen, inventory, or (crucially) map. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: FWIW I ran UIX using morrowind.exe and it worked just fine. I'm having a good time exploring. Thanks! I look forward to the Kickstarter for your new project.
Did you use our custom Morrowind.ini file? That is required.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Got a reply for the artist. Unfortunately we don't have a list of his assets. But he has agreed to help out with this task.

@psi29a: If I put you in contact with the artist, would you be willing to work with him to clean up the license situation? I don't think it makes much sense for me to act as a middle men. That is just wasting everyone's time. And since he retained all copyright for his work, you could sort that out directly with him without even involving us (The Titans of Ether).
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Wow, then kudos to him on what he created. :)

What I planned on doing was similar to how I handled AoA. Take a divide and conquer approach. Look for assets with the same hash as with objects in Bethesda's BSAs, those go in the generic Morrowind-ish Bethesda license. The rest we'll have to sort by hand/eye to see if they are based off anything else.

However if the UIX:R 3D modeler (does he have a name or nick?) can vouch for his work and can clarify if any of it is based on something else or 100% his, that would make the job of sorting very easy.

Hopefully a CC-BY or CC-BY-SA license is possible on those works. :)

Can you provide an email, skype or gtalk account in PM?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes, I'll PM you the details.