Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
lysol

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by lysol »

Huh, wow. My first answer was going to be "thanks, but it's ok, I already have mindtex which works fine", but then I saw some of the videos. It looks like a neat tool. It would be awesome of course to try it.

EDIT: Seems i'll be having one of those wife-free weekends again this weekend. Might even finish the pack then. I hope so. I'll also have plenty of time to test this new application and see if I can get any use from it.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ok, so I've worked a bit with the textures during the weekend. I started with some interior stuff.

Haven't done as much as I wanted to do, but that's cause a colleague became sick and I had to work saturday. But I'm free next weekend again, so I'll do more then.

http://imgur.com/a/q7TK5
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Looks perfect. You got shiningness just right. Especially the first picture, so sexy.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Looks good -- as always.

Now we only need some Terrain Mesh Blending to get rid of these ugly borders between meshes. ;)
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Looks really nice! Some surfaces are perhaps a bit too "clean" or "new", but very good work overall. Keep it up! ;)
lysol

Post by lysol »

Berandas wrote:Looks really nice! Some surfaces are perhaps a bit too "clean" or "new", but very good work overall. Keep it up! ;)
Please specify if you can! :)

Anyway, made a GIF animation just for fun.

http://imgur.com/a/uiA2Q

Not really happy with how the pillar's ornaments turned out, but they are easy to redo.
raevol

Post by raevol »

lysol wrote:Please specify if you can! :)
I'd really have to see these in-game before I could judge them, but based on this one: http://i.imgur.com/eJpQWgd.jpg

The roof right in the middle looks shiny and metallic. Again, may be a fault of the still image and would have to see it in-game to pass real judgement, but I thought it was supposed to be wood?

The stone on that center building also seems really clean. It looks like freshly laid and cemented stones, instead of stonework with some sort of mud that's been weathered and sat for a while. And the stones on the street look very uniform and clean- even though they have a dirt color to them, they don't seen to have a worn or weathered quality to them, they look super fresh.

BUT AGAIN! Please this is just some superficial judgments from some screenshots, they may look way different in-game! Please don't take this critique seriously! I've noticed that I've had the same feelings from screenshots of your textures before, and then when I saw them in-game I realized they looked *just right* instead of kind of off.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Yeah, they honestly do look clean and really generated, perfect, shiny, out of place, there's no life in them.
Need some distortion and color correction, and even more colors, especially dirt, there is a big difference in color variations on your screenshots.

I took this picture from Nexus => https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mo ... 905535.jpg
Vanilla textures are amazing, they are very detailed, but unfortunately very small size.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

These are not vanilla textures. Or I don't remember them as well as I thought.
lysol

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote:I'd really have to see these in-game before I could judge them, but based on this one: http://i.imgur.com/eJpQWgd.jpg

The roof right in the middle looks shiny and metallic. Again, may be a fault of the still image and would have to see it in-game to pass real judgement, but I thought it was supposed to be wood?

The stone on that center building also seems really clean. It looks like freshly laid and cemented stones, instead of stonework with some sort of mud that's been weathered and sat for a while. And the stones on the street look very uniform and clean- even though they have a dirt color to them, they don't seen to have a worn or weathered quality to them, they look super fresh.

BUT AGAIN! Please this is just some superficial judgments from some screenshots, they may look way different in-game! Please don't take this critique seriously! I've noticed that I've had the same feelings from screenshots of your textures before, and then when I saw them in-game I realized they looked *just right* instead of kind of off.
Crap, I forgot to remove the street texture. That was just a test, it looks terrible. Ignore that. :roll:

There's no other way to do the roof really, at least not with the shader textures. The one that is to the left of it? Yep, the same roof, just other lighting. I have no specularity texture, just normal mapping with parallax applied. I'll see if I can do anything about the diffuse if people still think it looks strange when seeing it ingame.

Not sure I agree about the stones though, but I'll think about it. IMO, freshly laid stones should have all 90 degree corners and be perfectly straight. These are rounded and nagged (i made the normal map that way on purpose) after years of rain and wind. Perhaps there's something else that causes the clean look here, idk. Again, I'll think about it, check if I can try something else and see if it looks better. Now that I think about it, I might add some smaller detail on the normal map, while keeping the parallax map as it is. Maybe that would make things look better. :)

I'm taking the critique seriously of course. How else could I make them better? ;) But as you say, some things might look different ingame.
Last edited by lysol on 29 Aug 2016, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.