Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
raevol

Re: Lysol's normal mapped texture packs

Post by raevol »

Congrats Lysol!!
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

Congrats!
lysol

Post by lysol »

Thank you all.

Ok, so I know I said "I'm gonna take a break". Well yesterday and today I felt "why the hell not make another one right now?".

Some redoran screenshots. Many redoran models has a lot of seams though I'm afraid.

http://imgur.com/a/jqxiv

And as I state in the album above, I use quite a lot of 2048x2048 textures this time. Why? Demand more or less.

I had to buy them since there are barely any free ones in that size anywhere...
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Go, lysol, go! :)

Do you see a huge difference between 1024x1024 textures and 2048x2048 ones? Do the seams look even more awkward on the high-res ones?
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

"why the hell not make another one right now?"
Legit question. But am I dreaming now? Because these textures sure do look too good for me to be true.

Seams are ruining the feeling, though. It's strange what Bethesda did, for there were already games which didn't have them, like Enclave. I guess NetImmerse was not a good choice at the time, but long term wise...
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote:Go, lysol, go! :)

Do you see a huge difference between 1024x1024 textures and 2048x2048 ones? Do the seams look even more awkward on the high-res ones?
Seam-wise, no, not at all. The seams become obvious already at 512x512 IMO, but the real killer is the normal maps. Those make seams become really really obvious.
Svetomech wrote: Seams are ruining the feeling, though. It's strange what Bethesda did, for there were already games which didn't have them, like Enclave. I guess NetImmerse was not a good choice at the time, but long term wise...
The engine had nothing to do with the seams though. I would guess the biggest problem is that they had so many assets to make that they had to rush them kind of. I haven't played Enclave, but I guess it isn't an open world-type game? Then they probably had less assets to make. Also, it came out a year later.

They rushed the unwrapping phase on many models, but it didn't really show at that time because of the low res textures. I guess that's why these models actually got through the "proof-reading" so to speak.
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

Also, it came out a year later.
They were both released in 2002. But I guess you're right about rushing and open world vs not open world.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Svetomech wrote:
Also, it came out a year later.
They were both released in 2002. But I guess you're right about rushing and open world vs not open world.
Right, steam said 2003, but that was apparently only the PC release year.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Wow, nice Lysol! Excited for these, I love the Redoran architecture.
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

Svetomech wrote:Seams are ruining the feeling, though. It's strange what Bethesda did, for there were already games which didn't have them, like Enclave.
This is more a Bethesda problem than anything. They've always been notorious for this. I suppose it's an easy problem when making a game with tons of assets. Even now if you check out Skyrim's Static Mesh Improvement Mod you'll see tons of pictures of seam fixes for Skyrim's assets.