Fan of evil dead 2?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
DocClox

Re: Fan of evil dead 2?

Post by DocClox »

DestinedToDie wrote: Also I noticed that every episode is written by a different person. Why do they do this? Won´t it be inconsistent quality of writing?
I believe that's the job of the series editor: to make sure the scripts have a more or less uniform style and that they each advance the story arc as a whole.

The practice is fairly common. When it's done well, you hardly notice.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

There was definitely a good plot to episode 9. I could see the twist coming, but whateverz. Anyway, I don´t know who wrote it but it is again... not quite. The deadite using the camper heads to have some smalltalk. It just felt meh to me. I think it was a good concept but could have been done better. More comedically, maybe? Better lines?

The campers were killed by a deadite. But I was totally expecting the route out of the forest to disappear and them being trapped into a sort of limbo that leads them back to the cabin every time. I know it´s a trope at this day an age, but it´s definitely an Evil Dead thing.

The book talking to Ash. Again, a very interesting concept. But yeah... I´m no writer, but I think Ash should have had a "stop" moment there, showing him having a contemplating face while the camera zooms in and him saying something badass as a fuck you to the book and then smashing its face on the table or inflicting some kind of pain. Instead he goes "No, we are not having this conversation!" and throws it in a fridge and the book has no comedic reaction. Didn´t he say this exact line in the last episode? And it was so much more impactful, seeing as he was talking to his dead girlfriend, whom he killed and felt guilty about... but here it´s just meh.

Where is the Ash we know? It´s like he´s standing right there, but not delivering the groovy lines. Maybe they killed the wrong Ash and Evil Ash is making a boring show for us.

However because the author of the book read from it and there was talk of booking season 2 near the first episodes, I think that´s a another season confirmed. No way they are going to wrap this deadite mess up in just 1 episode. The Dark One is going to overpower them and run away with the book, bringing back the Army of Darkness Ash once defeated in the medieval age. It seems she isn´t doing very well with the deadites, but the skeletons and evil Ash definitely weren´t deadites. There´s more evil stuff that the book can portal in.

I hope we get more episodes from Michael J. Basset. Not a guarantee it´ll be dead spot on perfect, but I think he has written the best environment/feeling to the show thus far.

Original Evil Dead 2 greatness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XlA2wTXHBc
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I was just watching Evil Dead 2 and a funny thing caught my eye. Namely, one of the pages of the book has a picture of a hero on it and it is said that in 1300 AD a hero banished the evil. We get to know that Ash is that hero - he fights the army of darkness after being sent back to 1300 AD, where he gets in possession of the book. But if the book is written BEFORE he gets ahold of it, when did the Dark One get time to ink that in? That is, unless, the Dark One actually sees into the future.

Probably just a plot-hole. Or is it?

He got his book from the past, since there were only pages in the cabin and the only time he got his hands on it was 1300 AD. Yet he has it after sleeping to the end of the 20th century. Either he left the book in the past and went WAY out of his way to find it again in present OR he took the book with him to the present. Furthermore, as seen in here, https://imgur.com/AkooGBR the page of the hero is UNRIPPED in the Necronomicon of the TV series. This implies that there is another Necronomicon in the present timeline from which the pages in Evil Dead 2 were ripped.

Phew. Time travel can be messy. Anyway, for the timeline to be consisent, Ash or someone else has to travel back in time and put ripped pages (including making a new page of the hero) of it into a castle, where the professor from Evil Dead 2 finds them and recites the passages while recording it all on tape, pushing the events of Evil Dead 2 into motion.

Will it be Ash? Maybe. It could also be The Dark one, who just got her hands on the book in episode 9. She wrote it, she can write a couple extra pages with it if she wants, she can read it, and she recite a passage to travel back in time. The perfect set-up for season 2. But why would she bother to do this, you ask? Well, maybe Evil Dead 1 was what could´ve happened in the wrong circumstances (everyone, including Ash dies). While killing Ash the hero can prove quite a problem for deadites and even the Dark One herself, Ash the young man he was in Evil Dead 1 is defenseless against those deadites.

But the events of Evil Dead 1 cause an inconsistency within the timeline, Ash is alive presently. That´s because it doesn´t happen. As you can see in Evil Dead 2 with Ash observing the page of the hero, time does not adjust itself as it goes. Rather, everything is predetermined. However you change the past, the present has already changed accordingly before you go in to change the past. Ash stops Ruby from tampering too much in the past and makes it so that he survives as shown in Evil Dead 2. That is what we´ll see in the end of season 2. If the writers are any good, that is. ;)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

So the season is over. It wasn´t perfect. But I sure am glad we got something. Some was good, some was a little eh. I think the good part about the ending is that now all evil in the book is going to be released, which means we´ll be getting different kind of deadites (or even something else) in season 2.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Just watched the final one.

Overall, very good indeed. The cruelty of the deadites and the horror of the cabin had me on the edge of my seat in a way that nothing really has since the first Evil Dead film. Clearly they've been keeping the horror relatively muted in the earlier episodes so they had somewhere to go when they needed to escalate things.

I think I'd agree that Ash really needed to win a point there before throwing the match at the end. Then again, I suppose we have to bear in mind that he really is batshit insane. Not that anyone can blame him after what he's lived through.

It's also hard to see how could have saved his companions other than by doing what he did. If only he showed some sign of knowing what he's actually done.

I see it's been renewed for a second season. Should be interesting :)
ezze

Post by ezze »

Watched the final episode too. I really liked the series overall and the ending was great. I also felt on the edge of the seat I was meta-thinking "Pablo cannot die, there is a second season"... but I was not totally believing it.

I also loved the character evolution, everyone Ash loves dies, but this time he was adamant to rescue his friends. He literally give up to the victory for them...
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I bring you news! Not of season 2, but allegedly a season 1 episode 1 pilot surfaced on the web:

http://www.zen134237.zen.co.uk/Ash_vs_E ... _Pilot.pdf

So why should you care? You already saw episode 1. Well, apparently this is not the episode 1 you saw. Instead, it´s what episode 1 initially could have been. So give it a read, makes for an interesting alternate universe. Here are the main differences, in case you can´t be bothered to read through it:
Spoiler: Show
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

This thread just got Necro-nomiconned.

Ash vs. Evil Dead season 2 is finally getting close and it seems that they are starting to hype it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/29/as ... on-2-death

So it sounds like they filmed an extra gruesome scene. I wonder tho if it´s simply for the publicity or if that´s just the way it turned out. Major spoiler on what this gruesome scene is. I don´t have 100% confirmation that this is what actually happens, but here it is:
So yeah. Not something I´d expect out of Evil Dead. Usually the deadites toy with the mental health of their victims to make them panic, but kill them the moment it opens a window of opportunity. I guess the new demons that are being introduced like to take their time? I´m curious what the point of this is will be on the story side of things.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Episode 1 of season 2 has aired. Curious to see what Ash does next.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Well, then. That was a good episode.