Fan of evil dead 2?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
ezze

Re: Fan of evil dead 2?

Post by ezze »

DocClox wrote:I wasn't sure until about halfway through the first one; I kept getting flashbacks to Duke Nukem Forever.
This sounds fun, can you explain more? What do you mean?

Morbid humor and trying too hard to be funny and failing at pretty much everything that counts?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

ezze wrote:Morbid humor and trying too hard to be funny and failing at pretty much everything that counts?
Yeah.... I feel like instead of making horror and laughing about it seems like they're making jokes and trying to horror it. And that's pretty much the contrast between Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. I'm still excited to watch the next episode.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

ezze wrote:
DocClox wrote:I wasn't sure until about halfway through the first one; I kept getting flashbacks to Duke Nukem Forever.
This sounds fun, can you explain more? What do you mean?

Morbid humor and trying too hard to be funny and failing at pretty much everything that counts?
I suppose I was thinking of the endless self-congratulation of the DNF opening scene. You had about half an hour of Duke finding new ways to pat himself on the back for being so great.

AvED #1 wasn't nearly that bad, and once the deadites showed up, the show found its feet and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. But it was touch and go for the first 10 minutes.

The question that's bothering me is: are Virgin Media ever going to offer more than the first five, or will I have to find the rest elsewhere?
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Episode 7. Barely recognized it as Evil Dead. Who writes this stuff? At the commentary part this midly chubby guy says that they're putting their own spin on this.

Well, I hope there will be less spin once we enter the cabin. Looks like Ash is going there alone.
Spoiler: Show
I have my hopes up and at the same time I don't. We'll see.
ezze

Post by ezze »

DestinedToDie wrote:Episode 7. Who writes this stuff?
According to wikipedia: Sean Clements, Dominic Dierkes, and Ivan Raimi.

I did not mind Ep.7 actually; the portrayal of the insane survivalists that actually are useless in front of a real danger is quite funny and Ash/Amanda chained pair was really cool. Besides, the unexpectedly realistic portrayal of how difficult is using automatic weapons or lighting kerosene was funny.

I also liked the Ruby scene, it adds some mystery to what happened to her after she disappeared in the fire. I was kinda worried that the cast was becoming too large, but Ash stealth exit after the tear jerking goodbye fixed this quickly.

I still think the worse was Ep.3 with its unnecessary CGI effects and the excessive weakness of the characters. The latter point is to put emphasis on Eligos strength and I can understand, but the "inside the brain" scenes for the former were plain annoying. I still wonder if Eligos was indeed the weakest possible daemon or Lionel lied.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Wow, episode 8 was really good. I just don't know what to say... it's the Evil Dead I remember and wanted to see once more. Really looking forward to next week.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I agree, the best so far. And I liked them all.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

ezze wrote:I agree, the best so far. And I liked them all.
Kept me on the edge of my seat, I know that much. This is classic stuff.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Good news for the Grinches. According to the schedule, Ash vs. Evil Dead will be airing on December 26th despite what Santa Claus might be doing. It´s going to be a ho-ho-horror-filled Christmas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_vs_Evil_Dead#Episodes

Also I noticed that every episode is written by a different person. Why do they do this? Won´t it be inconsistent quality of writing?
ezze

Post by ezze »

DestinedToDie wrote:Also I noticed that every episode is written by a different person. Why do they do this? Won´t it be inconsistent quality of writing?
I don't know the reason, but in general it does effect the quality. I remember when I saw the second season of the new (well... not "new" anymore, the current one) ninja turtles I could almost guess the writer after seeing the episode. I am well aware that probably it was just patternization; but the quality was bouncing.

The obvious fact is that every writer even in the same framework of settings and characters give his own colors and tone. Even in the same quality the show can quite different, to get an example from Ash Vs Evil Dead: the ep. 3 has Eligos that is really a serious monster. There is nothing humorous about him at all and he is quite "CGI improved." This contrast quite a bit with the whole series, I can only guess that Sean Clements wanted to give his own tone.