any more elder scrolls games on the horizon?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
rstevenson1976

any more elder scrolls games on the horizon?

Post by rstevenson1976 »

like skyrim? I would like to volunteer to beta test open skyrim
Okulo

Re: any more elder scrolls games on the horizon?

Post by Okulo »

Of course, the brand is a guaranteed sell.

Oh, do you mean OpenMW? Nope. Just Morrowind-format.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

well that's a shame, not like bethesda is ever gonna do it :cry:
lysol

Post by lysol »

You realise that making OpenMW took years of peoples' free time right? Then think about Skyrim. Compared to Morrowind, it's a game with far more advanced features, made by Bethesda's payed team of probably a hundred or so programmers and artists. Sure, someday OpenSkyrim could happen if someone wants to do it, but it will take years and lots of skilled and motivated people to do it. People who want to do it for free.
sjek

Post by sjek »

the model support via osg could be done by architecture but extra features would have to be coded in kinda. for scripts to be compatible you would need to write the interpreter a new and (reverse) engineer game mechanics in.

other way would be to do the model part and write the whole game with extended morrowind scripting and lua althought making probably most of not all mods incompatible without good luck on features and planning. hard, long work nevertheles

as for tes VI maybe in year or two but time will tell can they overcome the burden of restricted engine although that comes from commercial standpoint, guessing.

they have eso as a big money laundry might help a bit to code features in thought wondering what kind of game style they are creating this time.

one day they even might use openmw and sell the assets .p

althought recent buss with paid mods and policy could make that proplematic in it's own terms. but dunno off whole new game
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

lysol wrote:You realise that making OpenMW took years of peoples' free time right? Then think about Skyrim. Compared to Morrowind, it's a game with far more advanced features, made by Bethesda's payed team of probably a hundred or so programmers and artists. Sure, someday OpenSkyrim could happen if someone wants to do it, but it will take years and lots of skilled and motivated people to do it. People who want to do it for free.
yes I do realise it took a lot of time and hard work, I did not intend to offend you or anybody else :roll:
lysol

Post by lysol »

rstevenson1976 wrote:
lysol wrote:You realise that making OpenMW took years of peoples' free time right? Then think about Skyrim. Compared to Morrowind, it's a game with far more advanced features, made by Bethesda's payed team of probably a hundred or so programmers and artists. Sure, someday OpenSkyrim could happen if someone wants to do it, but it will take years and lots of skilled and motivated people to do it. People who want to do it for free.
yes I do realise it took a lot of time and hard work, I did not intend to offend you or anybody else :roll:
I'm not a dev, and therefore wasn't offended, but I doubt the devs were offended either. I simply wanted you to understand the situation and why there's not much of a reason to wait for an "OpenSkyrim". Sorry if it came out harsh. :) For now, enjoy OpenMW 0.35.1 and the versions to come.
Dasher42

Post by Dasher42 »

A more plausible question to ask would be what it'd take to make OpenMW reach parity with Skyrim. Obviously, there would need to be a lot of new meshes and textures, but I eyeballed this (https://code.google.com/p/cartwheel-3d/) and thought, "That could make better animations than Skyrim's!"

Never mind the voice acting. Skyrim's worse for most of its dialogue.
Dasher42

Post by Dasher42 »

Question, and I want to first acknowledge that faithfully recreating Morrowind is already a huge win. It's been a long time since I did 3D meshing, and open-source Blender and COLLADA weren't out then.

How well could OSG use the output of MakeHuman? makehuman.org
How well could a remastering project cross-pollinate with other open source efforts like The Dark Mod?
Are animations generated by Cartwheel 3D or ported from creative-commons sources fair game?
Is it practical to think of remastering OpenMW assets like this?

Thanks for everything, team. As a coder and a former modder on the Homeworld and Bridge Commander games, I know you've worked hard on a labor of love!