Setting up a new install of MW and MGSO

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Greywander

Setting up a new install of MW and MGSO

Post by Greywander »

I've tentatively tried OpenMW a few times, and I think at this point the only thing holding me back from starting a game is waiting for a stable version of Klepto's Levelling Just Happens mod. In the mean time, I thought I'd go ahead and set up my mods. I expect most mods to have a fairly straightforward setup, but the Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul might be a bit more complicated issue.

I figure I should have a dedicated folder just for MGSO in order to keep my mod folder a bit cleaner. I debating whether I should hop over to Windows (I dual-boot Win7/Linux) and see if I can install it in an empty folder, or whether I should hunt down the individual mods included and download and install them separately (a list of the included mods can be found here). Two issues here; I'm not sure every single mod is OpenMW compatible (though most probably are), and I'm not sure they're all up to date. Just as an example, I discovered that MGSO was using an old version of Graphic Herbalism that was causing the harvesting of one type of plant in Mournhold to yield the ingredient of a different plant (also found in Mournhold), making the intended ingredient impossible to get.

What other mods are considered essential or highly recommended that work with OpenMW? The code patcher is, of course, right out, since it fixes issues in the Morrowind engine, so not only would it be incompatible with OpenMW, but most likely not needed (although some features, like swift casting and the third ring slot for On Use enchanted rings would be nice). What about the unofficial patches? I assume those are compatible and recommended, as they address issues in the .esm files rather than the engine. MGSO likely covers most other "essential" mods. Should I hold off on Tamriel Rebuilt for now, or does it work well enough to use? Will I need to use Wyre Mash to merge leveled lists?

I guess one last question is: what is the current state of OpenMW-CS? Last I heard you couldn't save mods with it, but I guess that's changed? I might want to whip up a few homebrew mods and I'm wondering how much I can do in OpenMW-CS and what I'll have to use the TES-CK for.

I should probably mention that I already have a folder with an install of vanilla Morrowind and that I have gotten OpenMW to run. So all that's already out of the way and all I need now is to set up my mods.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Setting up a new install of MW and MGSO

Post by psi29a »

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Mod_status

If you have mods not on the list, please contribute them with your findings. :)
Tinker

Re: Setting up a new install of MW and MGSO

Post by Tinker »

Most mods in the list have not been tested so any feedback would be appreciated, narrowing down which mod is causing a problem might be problematic with them all installed though. There are some that are known to have problems if they are listed on our mod page with bug reports you can follow the progress of getting them working.

You are aware I assume that Klepto's Levelling Just Happens mod does not run on OpenMW but on a forked version, probably it will remain so until 1.0.