Mod: Levelling Just Happens

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
DocClox

Re: Mod: Levelling Just Happens

Post by DocClox »

Spoilers for the MW main quest follow:
Spoiler: Show
Is this a good time to revisit the idea of spinning part of this off into it's own thread? We are so far off topic at this point, I think we'd need a Guild Guide to find our way back.

[edit]

Typos. And some emphasis on the quoted passage.

Also I seem to keep hitting "quote" when I mean edit for some silly reason. Excess posts deleted.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezze wrote:Did you ever see my level up mod yalsm?
I'm still interested in seeing this, ezze. Unfortunately, it was only on PES, it seems, because I can't find it anywhere anymore.
Chris

Post by Chris »

DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Spoilers. MQ. Yadda yadda yadda.
Out of curiosity, what does yalsm stand for? I was going to look for it on Morrowind Modding History, but realised I had no idea what to search for.
ezze

Post by ezze »

yalsm means "yet another level system mod."

The name comes because yalsm arrived late compared to GCD and other, but I liked neither as they are too overdone. GCD even contained an excel sheet to explain all the influences... Besides, by design, GCD kept the initial decision very important and I did not like it. IMO the initial values are just background and you can still become something different. Of course since you start with low stats it might be difficult, but it is expected. If you trained with hammers for a life, switching to the sword can be a problem.
I remember playing around with GCD to make it as I like but I noticed that most the extra complexity was not needed anymore so I made my own.

Simple and clear for the user: each skill influences four attributes, a lot the governor, a little a second one (usually an attribute connected to the governor like intelligence and willpower) and almost nothing a third one (usually personality, because stronger means more charismatic! ;) ) and Luck. Got it? Now just play naturally.

I tried googleing the full name and it seems there are two vestiges: some strange problems and a copy of the description.

It is probably lost forever, but it is not really so grave. The basic idea is saved in this server and also I wrote down how to make the base formulae. The morrowind scripting was so broken that the code even if recovered would be fairly useless. It is just a pity to have lost the documentation with all the influences, but I think it can redone quite quickly.

I remember I had to do all kind of strange stuff to get the real (not considering magic) skill values and it could not work in all cases. Besides the lack of any kind of abstraction mechanism forced me to repeat the code for each skill. I remember I wrote a python program to generate the scripts.

To make yalsm complete I needed to make health work better and add a way (like a ring or a spell) that resets all the values. So if the player feels something is wrong (it can happen, overall after curses) he heals all ailments, remove all the equipment, cast the spell and all the values get fixed. But I found this second point so artificial and annoying that I lost interest.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

Does this help?

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-56-6684

The download link gives me a 7z containing a readme and an esp. I can't test it here, but I've found MMH to be reliable so far :)
ezze

Post by ezze »

Well, here it is... Now I remember all the extra stuff for developing were not in the distributed file, but only in my revision control. Maybe it is still in some dusty disk in my home... :|
However I admit I am touched of reading my old readme, the English was not so bad even. It is not very technical, but it explains all the points. I totally forgot about the Fortify Health thingy, it was necessary (once again) to workaround the limitations of Morrowind. :|

This little .7z also show my pedantry about little details: the filenames are in lowercase, the two files are inside "data files" and not in some strange directory, the readme is simply called "readme yalsm.txt," my idea was that doing so in alphabetical order all the readme would be nearby and there cannot be any overlapping. :|

"This mod was copied from Planet Elder Scrolls; redistribution permission was given on PES download page." Hail to the public domain! It saved this (very) little piece of human culture....

Sigh, thanks DocClox.

Edit: in the website are other mods of mine. I forgot about half of those! The Guild guide and Travel Mode were other nice ones.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

ezze wrote: Sigh, thanks DocClox.
My pleasure. :)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I realize that I am a lil late to help with suggesting finding an old mod, but they collect them over at http://fliggerty.com as well, and if they don't have yalsm then I bet they'd want it. They are trying to collect hard-to-find mods there so they don't get cast off into oblivion

ST
just thought I'd share
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

silentthief wrote:I realize that I am a lil late to help with suggesting finding an old mod, but they collect them over at http://fliggerty.com as well, and if they don't have yalsm then I bet they'd want it. They are trying to collect hard-to-find mods there so they don't get cast off into oblivion

ST
just thought I'd share
Yeah, MMH is part of Great House Fliggerty. If the stuff had to be rescued from PES, ElricM or similar, it's on MMH. If anyone updates something, it'll go on Fliggerty.

There's also Wolflore. MMH is supposed to be family friendly, so the Wolflore has it's own version of MMH to host the naughty stuff. Not that anyone here would be interested in such stuff, obviously/ :P