Morrowind, Oblivion, or others ways what do you like more?

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
vv221

Re: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim ways what do you like mo

Post by vv221 » 10 Apr 2014, 01:22

Okulo wrote:I'd like dialogue like Morrowind, but overhauled to give each NPC some unique information depending on class/caste/job/a combination thereof. Lots of work perhaps, but a lot cheaper than having it voice acted, too!
http://lgnpc.org/

Enjoy! ;)

Chris

Post by Chris » 10 Apr 2014, 02:05

Dialog UI needs to be overhauled more than anything, IMO. When you have dozens of topics with nondescript names, trying to put it all into a single alphabetical list is just insanity.

An interesting way to handle dialog could be to separate the links from the actual text. As it is now, it's like
Yes associate? Are you here about duties, or are you looking for advancement?
which has a couple problems. For one, it adds unnecessary emphasis on certain words that wouldn't be there when spoken, and two, it requires the dialog to be written in a way to ensure those 'links' are in the text, which can make it weird. Instead, it could be like:
Yes associate? Are you here about duties, or are you looking for advancement?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Follow-up: duties, advancement
Where the follow-ups are found automatically in the dialog text. Doing it this way would also allow us to provide a way to specify custom follow-ups, where the topics don't have to appear in the dialog text. So the above example could be modded to become:
Yes associate, what do you need?
Allowing the dialog to be written more naturally.

Perhaps this could go into the suggestions forum...

Okulo

Post by Okulo » 10 Apr 2014, 07:42

vv221 wrote:http://lgnpc.org/

Enjoy! ;)
Something like that. But without the quests. When an NPC changes into a guar, I'm clocking out.

ezze

Post by ezze » 10 Apr 2014, 09:33

SquireNed wrote:The only things that I really like about Skyrim/Oblivion are controversial. I actually like slow regeneration of health/magicka.
I agree, and pretty much for the same reasons. In Oblivion I am using OblivionXP that allows to set Health/Magika/Fatigue regeneration speed. I slowed down Health regeneration so much that is pretty useless in fight, but little scratches during travels heal without worrying too much. I disabled OblivionXP's Fatigue management because I use Realistic Fatigue in slightly more forgiving settings than suggested, the result is that Fatigue still regenerate even if running in plain (at least in light armor), however it still decreases if you are running upward a slope.
I found this settings a quite nice compromise between realism and playability. I do not feel a regenerating Troll, nor I have to walk painfully slow all the time. Still when it counts (fighting and adventuring) the mortal limitations are there.
SquireNed wrote:Actually, Daggerfall might be one of my favorite Elder Scrolls theme wise, if it weren't so buggy on my DOSBox...
did you try Daggerfall setup? It gave me a superstable game easily.

Do anyone ever played games like Cute Knight, it is a quite different kind of game and the fighting system is quite ugly. But I found interesting you can roleplay very different kind of characters and do menial jobs like cleaning or taking care of animals. I would a be nice add to the Elder Scroll world and it integrates well with the Skill system.

vv221

Post by vv221 » 10 Apr 2014, 16:22

Chris wrote:Doing it this way would also allow us to provide a way to specify custom follow-ups, where the topics don't have to appear in the dialog text. So the above example could be modded to become:
Yes associate, what do you need?
Allowing the dialog to be written more naturally.

Perhaps this could go into the suggestions forum...
Methinks it is a very good idea!

SquireNed

Post by SquireNed » 11 Apr 2014, 01:03

ezze wrote: did you try Daggerfall setup? It gave me a superstable game easily.

Do anyone ever played games like Cute Knight, it is a quite different kind of game and the fighting system is quite ugly. But I found interesting you can roleplay very different kind of characters and do menial jobs like cleaning or taking care of animals. I would a be nice add to the Elder Scroll world and it integrates well with the Skill system.
I did use the Daggerfall setup; it's rather stable but my computer just seems to have issues with a lot of emulation. I think it has something to do with being a laptop, and emulators tend to have an issue between deciding to use the integrated card that doesn't support a ton of features and my discrete card that isn't actually properly associated as a graphics card for some legacy and a handful of modern programs (My sweet, precious, 16 FPS Dungeon Siege!).

Most of the bugs I encounter aren't game crashes so much as simply "congratulations, something didn't activate right and you're stuck", which may actually just be related to my crummy puzzling skills.

ezze

Re: Morrowind, Oblivion, or others ways what do you like mor

Post by ezze » 11 Apr 2014, 23:45

Magic: I find Oblivion better than Morrowind since you dont have all that guard swapping; however it might be that Skyrim is even better using the two-hands == two-actions approach.

However I do not understand why remove all those effects; the broken ones like Paralysis or Chameleon still work at the same way, nice ones like Mark/Recall or Divine intervention are gone...

Tarius

Post by Tarius » 12 Apr 2014, 15:59

I am going to step out side the box a moment and say that I thought Skyrim's combat style was rather nice. It was more dynamic than the previous two. I will stop there though as I didnt find much else an improvement in that game; also because I dont feel like writing several paragraphs on everything yet.
I am a bigger fan of tons of control rather than taking the "user-friendly" approach.
-Okulo

SquireNed

Post by SquireNed » 13 Apr 2014, 00:01

In terms of being faster, Skyrim's combat was a step in the right direction, but Skyrim felt very floaty to me; you didn't see a lot of staggering (IMO) unless you took a ton of damage.

I also liked the idea that you no longer had to really mess around with stuff a ton to get a decent dual wielding magic that doesn't require you to do anything more than just attack normally; much better than Morrowind/Oblivion and their separate magic attacking systems.

Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo » 13 Apr 2014, 03:48

SquireNed wrote:In terms of being faster, Skyrim's combat was a step in the right direction, but Skyrim felt very floaty to me; you didn't see a lot of staggering (IMO) unless you took a ton of damage.

I also liked the idea that you no longer had to really mess around with stuff a ton to get a decent dual wielding magic that doesn't require you to do anything more than just attack normally; much better than Morrowind/Oblivion and their separate magic attacking systems.
Every time this comes up my mind starts to wonder how great it would be to incorporate features from Dark Souls' combat systems where the skill was up to the players actual reaction abilities, the different weapons movesets actually mattered, as did stamina, and character skills still affected your weapons/armor via damage scaling on them.