Skywind Developer Plug Video

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
PeterBitt

Re: Skywind Developer Plug Video

Post by PeterBitt »

WOW! This is just absolutely amazing! Your artists are fantastic. I really love how they make something completely new and unique looking that is both, consistent and of perfect quality! I sure hope you keep up that quality for all the stuff, but those new models really look stunning.

How many artists do you guys have? Do you plan on making new faces too, or will you stick to the Skyrim ones?

Thanks a ton for deciding to share this with OpenMW community! Many of us Morrowindlers prefer the original gameplay over Skyrims, so it would be a shame to not share that great work with them. :)
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

That video looks absolutely stunning. I hope the contents of Skywind can be ported to OpenMW once both projects are mature enough. Or at least port the assets. I have no real aversion to Skyrim, but because Bethesda is in bed with Valve there is no way to get a DRM-free copy, and I refuse any form of DRM, especially Steam.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

This is what I was wondering actually.

If the content being created is free of Bethesda's copyright, and the creators have no objection to their use in OpenMW.... you see where I'm going with this.

As for the video, fantastic work! Everyone involved in that projects needs a pat on the back and a beer (or wine). The amount of creativity there is amazing!
Osidian

Post by Osidian »

It's looking very good.

http://i.imgur.com/eFGSDmh.png This is great!
indiedeveloper

Post by indiedeveloper »

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The video has managed to go onto most of the big gaming website so we are getting heaps of people wanting to help. This was the strategy of doing the video, so I'm wondering if OpenMW should do something similar? I'm sure if I talked to the team we could help you make a video of some kind. It really is simply because people don't know about the projects, but the amount of people who love Morrowind is huge.
If the content being created is free of Bethesda's copyright, and the creators have no objection to their use in OpenMW.... you see where I'm going with this.
I hope the contents of Skywind can be ported to OpenMW once both projects are mature enough. Or at least port the assets.
That's the plan. The Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul does a lot of this type of thing already, but we are really optimizing and polishing them off, so the end results should be pretty good. We do use quite a bit of Skyrim assets to get the job done, so its not quite as clear cut as just using everything, but certainly what can be, will be.

Then we can look at getting the creatures into the game, and look at new body types and new faces. That will be a lot of hard work. But as you know we are all fanatics.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

The video has managed to go onto most of the big gaming website so we are getting heaps of people wanting to help. This was the strategy of doing the video, so I'm wondering if OpenMW should do something similar?
I wonder... the advantage of working on the Skyrim engine is that it's easy to find stuff to show off. It's easy to find pretty pictures to put in such a video. I think OpenMW (at least in its current state) does not lend itself all that well to trailers. OpenMW shines in freedom and gameplay, not in graphics. Unfortunately, large media outlets do not think freedom and gameplay are all that exciting. :-)

EDIT: Double negatives
Last edited by Okulo on 06 Jan 2014, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

That is what we where also wondering. That is the big problem with creating a full TC for OpenMW, in that we have to replace all the objects in the BSA and that will take a very long time. I know you are relying heavily on Skyrim for things and they mostly can not be ported to OpenMW. Who knows however, we are not limited by our engine because we can always build on it and improve it to fit our needs. I was hoping that could also be the case for some of Skywind as well.

So while Skywind is graphically beautiful, OpenMW will hopefully get there as well. We just need the assets (textures/meshes/etc) to be better than vanilla Morrowind to get there and really show off the engine.

Right, back to the point, it would be wonderful to collaborate and share resources.
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

BrotherBrick wrote:I know you are relying heavily on Skyrim for things and they mostly can not be ported to OpenMW.
Damn I havent realized that there is no legal problem for them when they keep the Skyrim assets, I assumed they want to make everything from scratch.
Well thats a shame, I guess there is still a lot to do for us non-Skyrim Morrowind people :(
Biont

Post by Biont »

Well, there are some beautiful landscape assets that are shown in the video.
What's the situation with forward-porting meshes? Do Skywind devs use MW meshes or did they redo these as well? I believe Bethesda only forbids backporting, so they maybe reused the MW ones.

Well, it would be a shame if there was nothing left to do for the MW scene.
And maybe, just maybe, we can connect the loose ends quickly enough so that the Skywind community might become interested in continuing work specifically for OpenMW. But I'm just maiking wishes now :D
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Biont wrote:I believe Bethesda only forbids backporting, so they maybe reused the MW ones.
Please quote anything official Bethesda has said about this issue. Otherwise this is just FUD. I've searched around as well, and it is mostly people saying that it is forbidden, but no one is quoting anything.