New Skywind trailer

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
Lazaroth

New Skywind trailer

Post by Lazaroth »

Has everyone seen the new Skywind trailer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrH_cb8zeY
Necrod

Re: New Skywind trailer

Post by Necrod »

Skywind shouldn't be getting that much more attention, people still don't understand the potential of OpenMW.
Seen it though and can't deny it looks awesome.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

From what I understand, they began by using Morrowind assets and are slowly replacing all the assets with their own higher resolution versions so that nothing in the mod (it is a mod to Skyrim using it's meshes and etc.) has anything to do with Morrowind itself. That was straight from the horses mouth...

That being said, it still requires Skyrim to run which isn't multi-platform.

My question is... can we 'liberate' their textures? :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I've just watched a let's play of their 0.9 release. As pretty as the trailer is, the actual gameplay is... very awkward. Their textures are very decent though, and I have to wonder the same thing BrotherBrick voiced. Implementing their textures into this project could go a long way towards the eyecandy side of things.
ezze

Post by ezze »

BrotherBrick wrote:That being said, it still requires Skyrim to run which isn't multi-platform.
Not even available DRM-free.

Personally I do not get this projects at all... Why waste time and obviously good talent moving a game in another or making complex workarounds to closed and often broken systems (like what MGE does) instead of definitely solve the problems, this is what the OpenMW project is doing.

It might be slowed in the short term, but it pays off in the long.
Chris

Post by Chris »

ezze wrote:Why waste time and obviously good talent moving a game in another or making complex workarounds to closed and often broken systems (like what MGE does) instead of definitely solve the problems, this is what the OpenMW project is doing.
Modifying an existing thing is infinitely easier than creating a new thing. Particularly something as complex as a complete game engine, let alone one that needs to match vanilla behavior 1:1. Also, the work that was done for MCP (by the same guy that did MGE) has helped OpenMW a great deal in regards to certain behaviors and formulas.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

MCP was done by Hrnchamd, MGE was mostly done by Timeslip way back in the day.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

I think he´s talking about MGEXE! Hrnchamd made a fork.
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Wow some of the assets look awesome!
Downloading their asset pack now :twisted:
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I think this thread has caused some concern of at least one of the Skywind devs.

(from YouTube)
Ravanna wrote: ok MrOpenMW, I have a legitimate concern. I just read your forum, and many visitors/fans/devs (ie "PeterBitt" and "BrotherBrick") are rather unapologetic and open about "liberating" aka stealing Skywind's new assets, many of which I made myself with a lot of effort. Can you please curb this attitude and opinion on your site. Despite this worrying trend, I do respect the work you guys have done.
Thank you
You can read my response if you like:
Spoiler: Show
Feel free to speak for yourselves in reply to the comment on YouTube (found in the 0.27 video) or here. Hopefully Ravanna comes by to say hi. I think there was a misunderstanding here, but how should I know what anyone was planning on doing?