New Skywind trailer

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
sirherrbatka

Re: New Skywind trailer

Post by sirherrbatka »

Add "Ave Tux!" at the begnining. ;-)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

First and foremost, is this something that can used in connection with Morrowind (via OpenMW). If not, then this exercise is pointless. I just saw beautiful textures (and models tools?) that would make Morrowind gorgeous in OpenMW.

To whoever was freaking out...
BrotherBrick wrote:My question is... can we 'liberate' their textures? :)
this is a question, not a statement. Copyright still remains with the creator/holder (with whatever other license was applied during creation through tools from Bethesda).

The answer to the questions can be:
If yes: awesome!
If yes (but...): Also cool, so long as the license you use is compatible with DSFG.
if not: Pity, OK, what can we do to help out and convince you otherwise?

I'm the package maintainer for Ubuntu and Debian (with help), so we take licenses and ownership very seriously. We always follow the below rules, but user attribution is king. You put in the effort, you get the recognition. No one is stealing.
DSFG wrote:Free redistribution.
Inclusion of source code.
Allowing for modifications and derived works.
Integrity of the author's source code (as a compromise).
No discrimination against persons or groups.
No discrimination against fields of endeavor, like commercial use.
The license needs to apply to all to whom the program is redistributed.
License must not be specific to Debian, basically a reiteration of the previous point.
License must not contaminate other software.
The GNU GPL, BSD, and Artistic licenses are examples of licenses considered free.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Aren't the textures still modified Bethesda ones?
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

Sslaxx wrote:Aren't the textures still modified Bethesda ones?
Some of their assets are really awesome hand crafted pieces. For example some of the creatures like the Ogrim are sculpted and hand painted, we dont have much of this quality for Morrowind. I would love to post a screenshot of Ogrim in OpenMW but I guess I better dont do that :roll:

I made clear on Youtube that I wont "steal" any assets from Skywind.
ezze

Post by ezze »

PeterBitt wrote:I would love to post a screenshot of Ogrim in OpenMW but I guess I better dont do that :roll:
Wrong guess. Post on!
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

PeterBitt wrote:I made clear on Youtube that I wont "steal" any assets from Skywind.
This is why I asked in the first place...
PeterBitt

Post by PeterBitt »

BrotherBrick wrote:
PeterBitt wrote:I made clear on Youtube that I wont "steal" any assets from Skywind.
This is why I asked in the first place...
What do you mean?
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

One thing I don`t understand is the "animosity" between Skywind and OMW team. I mean...why? Is it like a contest? "Who is going to make it better/sooner"? Seriously, guys... :roll:

I am looking forward to Skywind. I`m also looking forward to OMW. Both projects still have a long way to go. Skywind has the ability to use more assets than OMW (armor conversions, _0 and _1 weights, which take time to be made perfectly, and the whole skinning you have to be careful about...eh, it`s a lot more "fickle" than original Morrowind content), which will take more time to make. On the other hand, OMW is unplayable (at least for me ATM, with low frame rates, crashing, rendering issues), and authors still need to make a consensus on what will actually be implemented in OMW. So, as I said - it will take time. For both of them.

Let`s please try to spend that time focusing on what really matters instead od peering over each others shoulders and acting like little kids (which most of us aren`t).
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

MacKom wrote:One thing I don`t understand is the "animosity" between Skywind and OMW team. I mean...why? Is it like a contest? "Who is going to make it better/sooner"? Seriously, guys... :roll: .
I'm curious as well... since when was there any animosity?

We just like their work and wondered if it could be back-ported to Morrowind (and thus OpenMW).
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

MacKom wrote:One thing I don`t understand is the "animosity" between Skywind and OMW team. I mean...why? Is it like a contest? "Who is going to make it better/sooner"? Seriously, guys... :roll:
Is there animosity, then? Aside from assuming people are thieves based on misunderstanding the word "liberation" in the context of an open-source project, of course.