The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
mcbanhas

The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors

Post by mcbanhas »

Hello everyone,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate the OpenMW community for the great effort it has carried so far in preserving a timeless game. Through many years of development the community was not only able to reconstruct the features of the Morrowind engine and make the game easier to play on modern computers, but also to add enhanced features and mod support. Truly a feat to be remarked!

Today I am sharing an appeal by The Battle for Wesnoth development team, who is currently looking for new developers and contributors. We have decided to bring forth this appeal to other open source game projects in hopes of fostering collaboration between different community projects so we can trade skills, knowledge and benefit mutually from this.

As most of you might know, The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game project first started in 2003. The game is entirely open source (GNU GPLv2) with artwork licensed under CC-BY-SA.

Presently we are looking for:
  • C++ programmers for core programming tasks
  • Lua programmers
  • Scripters willing to learn WML internal script language
  • Python programmers for helping with external tools
  • Pixel artists
  • Playtesters
  • A video editor that can help create a trailer for the incoming stable release
  • Other miscellaneous artists and programmers
For anyone interested in applying, you can read more details on the official announcement posted on the Wesnoth forums. You can also join us at our official Discord.

Our best regards to the OpenMW community and have a nice day!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors

Post by psi29a »

Noooo... stop trying to poach our people! :lol:

I loved playing Wesnoth, if I remember correctly, it had its origins as a Warlords II reimplementation right? I lost many hours playing that too.
mcbanhas

Post by mcbanhas »

psi29a wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 14:07 Noooo... stop trying to poach our people! :lol:

I loved playing Wesnoth, if I remember correctly, it had its origins as a Warlords II reimplementation right? I lost many hours playing that too.
I'm not quite so sure, I don't go that far back. :D Wesnoth is hex based, whereas Warlords II uses a square grid. Either way, the project is still alive and running strong, but we're sort of short staffed at the moment. While we would prefer long-term collaborators, especially programmers, everyone who is able to pitch in something would be of help. :) I think one of the big challenges we're facing right now is finding a way of replacing the outdated graphics API with something more modern like Vulkan.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Wesnoth rocks! You guys have been doing incredible work so I'm holding my fingers crossed you'll be able to find more devs.

Fun fact: I actually played with the thought once if not Wesnoth would've been a good setting for an RPG using the OpenMW engine.

EDIT: I visit the forums, uh, a bit rarely these days compared to discord. I realize this thread is *pretty* old. Sorry for sort of necroing it.