show target resistances

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
LoneWolf

show target resistances

Post by LoneWolf »

On a recent playthrough I noticed that my stalhrim war axe with Shock Damage was not very effective against liches like gedna .

Using GetShockResist / GetFireResist from console showed liches have 50% shock resistance but no fire resistance.
I spend some money & time for a similar axe with Fire Damage and tried again (liches were easy now).

This made me realise one thing from other RPGs I miss in openmw : an identify option that allows to see (some) stats of npc/creatures.
A mod for this doesn't exist as faar as I can find.

Madd leveler and MultiMarkOMW mods do use commands/dialog from a spell.
Looking at their code indicates rather complex methods are used to achieve that.

Maybe a new magical effect is needed, but those seem to be hardcoded.

Does anyone know how to get command results onscreen using a spell in a simple way ?
LoneWolf

Re: show target resistances

Post by LoneWolf »

I haven't found a way to acheive this yet.

MultiMarkOMW summons an invisible npc/creature and uses its dialog options.

Another approach was to add a new spell effect that basically does nothing for 1 second and check continously if that spell effect is active and start a script if it is.

Neither allows to use target selection.

I may have to wait until the big dehardcoding happens and allows spells / spell effects to use lua scripting.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

In The Underground mod, there is a powerful ring called Ring of Awareness or something like that. If you talk to someone, you can use this ring to learn every detail about their character. This sounded similar to what you're talking about, just thought I'd mention it.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

It does indeed look similar and uses a different approach then the others.

Looked at it and it appears the quest / journal system is used for the ring of awareness .
This means all entries it gives are hardcoded.

I've thought a bit more about how this could be implemented and it seems the behaviour of the alchemy skill is similar to what I want.

When mousing over an alchemy ingredient or potion in inventory or world the alchemy skill determines how many of it's effects (upto 4) you see.

For npc/creatures only the name is shown, adding extra stats* might be doable.

Possibilities
- the 4 elemental resistances
- resist paralysis
- resist magicka
- reflect