Collada-related stuff

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
unelsson

Collada-related stuff

Post by unelsson »

I'll dump a few Collada findings here in case someone runs into the same problems.

1) Dark textures or pitch black shadow areas in objects (lambert shader)

In files that use <lambert> shader, I believe, made with some version of Blender's default exporter. Emission values may be left 0. This depends on Blender version, but in case the models seem black, setting emission values above 0 can change the shadowed areas being not pitch black, but rather something that has at least some lighting. Ambient-values aren't set at all by the default exporter, even though OSG's dae plugin does seem to support it (it may be worth adding <ambient></ambient> tags, and playing with the values).

In collada file:

Code: Select all

<lambert>
            <emission>
              <color sid="emission">0.2 0.2 0.2 1</color>
            </emission>
2) Dark textures or pitch black shadow areas in objects (blinn shader)
Better Collada Export, especially the OpenMW-special edition of this, uses COLLADA's common profile, <blinn> shader setup. Exporter creates <ambient> values, but may fail to set them to useful values (likely depends on Blender version and exporter). Setting emission color to 0.1...0.2 range and/or ambient color to 0.4...0.6 range may required to fix the dark texture coloring.

3) "Failed to find matching <bind_vertex_input> for CHANNEL1" console error and lighting problems
This error message is prevalent with Better Collada Exporter files. It occurs when instance_material tag is empty. I haven't looked too deep into the correct implementation, but something like this fixes the error message, and results in correct(ish) rendering:

<instance_material symbol="id-trimat-13" target="#id-material-7">
<bind_vertex_input semantic="CHANNEL1" input_semantic="TEXCOORD" input_set="0"/>
</instance_material>
edit: Please also note, I'm using a OSG-version with the following uniforms forced (at line 382, daeRMaterials.cpp), just in case they are required...

float emissiveMult = 1.f;
ss->addUniform(new osg::Uniform("emissiveMult", emissiveMult));
ss->addUniform(new osg::Uniform("envMapColor", osg::Vec4f(1,1,1,1)));
ss->addUniform(new osg::Uniform("useFalloff", false));
edit2: The above addUniforms are indeed compulsory. It may be worth adding those to OpenMW Collada loading phase. For the darkness, emissiveMult may be the most important!