Develop a standalone game/total conversion

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
vrolok

Develop a standalone game/total conversion

Post by vrolok »

Hello, guys!
Giant thank you to all the devs working on the project, you're doing a great job for keeping the legendary game alive and well, many years after its release. There is no game like Morrowind to me.

Recently, I was thinking of making a game, similar to Morrowind in its mechanics, but on a smaller scale... I have some experience with modding Morrowind, Oblivion, as well as Unity and other engines, but the task of building all the systems from scratch seems insurmountable to me. Skills, leveling, inventory, bartering, quests, dialogues, AI, pathfinding, combat, stealth, etc. Plus, I would need a whole bunch of assets, even as a placeholder.

I was considering UE4, but it's a bit over the top for the kind of project I want to create. Then I thought of OpenMW... I know that it's not complete yet, but I can see it getting there, and it's really appealing as it has all the core systems. If I need to change something, it would be something minor, and even if I can't change it, I can deal with it - as long as all the core systems work. Moreover, I would love to use Morrowind's and some modders' assets as placeholders, before I replace them with my own.

Of course, this is just an early research, but if I wanted to start development right now, what would I need to use? I've heard that there is an OpenMW Game Template, where can I get my hands on it? Anything I need to know before diving right in?
silentthief

Re: Develop a standalone game/total conversion

Post by silentthief »

Hello,

If you are looking to do a TC or something like that, then you should look into the discussion regarding the example suite. This is the place where people have discussed the idea of creating a new game not based upon bethesda's intellectual property (the game assets, the land of Vvardenfell, or the game lore)

viewforum.php?f=28

ST
vrolok

Re: Develop a standalone game/total conversion

Post by vrolok »

Thank you! I was reading a topic about Game Template, didn't know there was a whole section on Example Suit, that should be helpful!