Editor: creating dialog and journal entries.

Questions specific to OpenMW-CS can be asked, and content development related topics can be discussed here
metalpoetza

Editor: creating dialog and journal entries.

Post by metalpoetza »

First off, the editor has definitely grown by leaps and bounds off late - and I just published my first ever morrowind mod, which was created with it.
Now I'm working on a much more ambitious one - and this one is intended to include a quest.

The dialog view seems like it may not be complete though ? Is it usable yet ?
Assuming it is, what differentiates the various topic types - since it's not got different tabs like the TES-CS ? Is this something you would set in the bottom-dialogue upon creating an entry ?
What about sub-entries for the conversation/journal updates.

I found the existing tutorials (both youtube and written down) invaluable so far - any chance of some more documentation ? Perhaps a simple quest-creation tutorial to introduce these tools a bit better ? Even as a programmer the morrowind structures a very large and complex and it's very easy to get lost.
Zini

Re: Editor: creating dialog and journal entries.

Post by Zini »

The dialogue types are exactly the same as in the original CS. But they were split up into different tabs there IIRC. It seems we are missing a way to select dialogue types when creating new topics. That looks like a missing piece of key functionality. Sorry.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Someone should create a feature request in the bug tracker so it gets in there ;)
weedfreak

Post by weedfreak »

As far as I can see you cannot add book or scroll content either.
Zini

Post by Zini »

On a second thought that is actually not a problem. You can't add greetings dialogue entries anyway. These are hardcoded. And the other types besides topic aren't that important. So the dialogue editor should be good to go.
Zini

Post by Zini »

On a third thought, do we even need the ability to specify other types than topic? We have topic and journal covered. We can not create new greeting entries. And IIRC correctly this is also true for the remaining types.

Remembering all that took a while. I am more rusty with this stuff than I thought.

The point about not being able to add text to books seems to be correct though.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Fix for the missing text fields is in master now. Some testing would be welcome. I am really quite rusty with the code base.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Wow, that's great!
metalpoetza

Post by metalpoetza »

Glad to see so much discussion since I asked the question. But at least in 0.40.0 it doesn't seem to be working. I finished the major item and script code that will be the reward for this mod, now I wanted to start on the quest itself. So using the TES-CS tutorials and trying to adapt them - I created what looks like it should be a universally visible topic. At first I tried adding it as a latest rumor, it never showed up - so I tried adding it as a completely new topic. It still never shows up. I tried filtering it to a specific actor - she didn't show it either.

I created a screenshot showing everything I have right now, in the hope that somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrrong (or do I need to wait until tommorrow and switch to the nightly ppa ?)

(As an aside - I am certain the omwaddon file is loading since I have the object on this character and have tested it significantly with him)

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/HlbZY
Zini

Post by Zini »

Regarding the new topic variant: Are you aware that you first need to mention the topic somewhere in the dialogue text to make it show up?