OpenMW 0.47.0 Released!

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
Jemolk

Re: OpenMW 0.47.0 Released!

Post by Jemolk »

sam642 wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 14:31 One issue though none of the Linux releases appear to be updated to 0.47!! Just check the downloads links. It's even worse with distro repositories, ubuntu's is still 0.45..
Hey, at least the PPA has been keeping up nicely, including the daily PPA, so if you want a perpetually-up-to-date OpenMW on base Ubuntu systems, you can just use that. It's what I've been doing for quite a number of releases now on Mint.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Awesome update, and fantastic release video, as always. The "official" implementation of grayed-out dialogue topics has been the single biggest feature I've been waiting for since 2002 in interacting with Morrowind's walking-encyclopedia NPCs... and the updates to distant land are groundbreaking.

Although this is probably already known/being worked on, the repository linked through "Download from site file repository" on the main Downloads page doesn't have the Windows 0.47 package. I'm assuming most people go to Git for the update anyway, but FYI.

Cheers to all on the project for another major milestone! Looking forward to 0.48 and Lua...
sam642

Post by sam642 »

Jemolk wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 03:14 Hey, at least the PPA has been keeping up nicely, including the daily PPA, so if you want a perpetually-up-to-date OpenMW on base Ubuntu systems, you can just use that. It's what I've been doing for quite a number of releases now on Mint.
Ty for the tip.
Looks like mikeprichard was looking at the "Download from site file repository" link too, if that's not going to be updated maybe that link should be less prominent.
To riff on what mike was saying the distant lands is amazing, I was shocked when I summited the hills behind Seyda Neen and looked opposite to not just Ft Pelegriad but Ft Moonmoth, Vivec and some dwarven ruins. Blew away my expectations and with barely any penalty hit to fps on my low end RX Vega 3 laptop!
With viewing distances like that and levitate spells who needs a map?
Last edited by sam642 on 09 Nov 2021, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Oh, I didn't see sam had already pointed out the issue with the site repository on the previous page, but yep, that's it: the "Downloads" page for "Windows / MacOS / Linux" at the top lists two links, the first of which is to GitHub (where I just conveniently downloaded the Windows 0.47 install .exe), and the second of which is to the "site file repository" which doesn't (yet) have any 0.47 packages in the related subcategories. That's all! Now back to enjoying my 20-cell view distances with stable FPS - amazing.
KhaxManin

Post by KhaxManin »

Hi! Thank you for all your work!
NordPaladin

Post by NordPaladin »

it's a good thing. But you can't play with steam saves anymore.
Yokudan

Post by Yokudan »

Only 64 bits? There is no 32 bit version?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

For Windows, yes. It's been eighteen years since the Athlon 64 came out. If your Windows computer's still using a 32-bit OS, it's nearly certain that you've just installed the wrong OS on it, and you're missing out on a bunch of speed for no reason. We often used more than 2GB of memory, and that's what Windows applications are limited to on a 32-bit OS (there's a flag to enable up to 4GB in a 32-bit application, but it only works on a 64-bit OS, and you should be using the 64-bit version on a 64-bit OS).
NordPaladin

Post by NordPaladin »

There will be no support for Steam?
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Post by testman »

NordPaladin wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 04:22 There will be no support for Steam?
What do you mean? OpenMW supports the Steam version of Morrowind just fine.

not sure how it would be done on Windows, or if it is even possible, but on Linux you can make Steam run Morrowind directly with OpenMW using Luxtorpeda