OpenMW Spotlight: Lua & Light, the second chapter

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
darkbasic

Re: OpenMW Spotlight: Lua & Light, the second chapter

Post by darkbasic »

Aldrog wrote: 21 May 2021, 13:22 The progress in both directions seems great! And the screenshots show how much realistic lighting actually means.

Do you think it would be possible to integrate RTX into the engine? I've seen it's claimed to be supported in VulkanSceneGraph, which is supposed to be a successor to OSG, but I have no idea how straightforward porting from OSG would be and what would it take to enable RTX afterwards.
Does VulkanSceneGraph support OpenGL? If not I guess it won't be possible to port anytime soon.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

No, just Vulkan, and we still have plenty of users on pre-Vulkan hardware. There are also other reasons why it would be too much work to migrate to VSG in the short to medium term.
Pilcrow182

Post by Pilcrow182 »

This is awesome, but will lighting levels/contrast be configurable and/or accessible through modding (maybe even with the new Lua scripting system)? In the second screenshot and the last one, we can see that the dark areas got much darker with the new lighting than with the old. While this is more realistic, it's also hard for some people to see, and harder to pick up on a recording (for uploading to YouTube, etc).

Even if it's not configurable, I definitely want to use it either way (it's a vast improvement over the stock lighting in general), but the ability to configure it would be extra nice... ;)
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Pilcrow182 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 00:44 This is awesome, but will lighting levels/contrast be configurable and/or accessible through modding (maybe even with the new Lua scripting system)?
Yes, it's configurable in-game through the video options. This also provides a workaround to the inability to adjust gamma settings on Linux.

This was a pleasant surprise when I encountered it in the current master, and I presume it will be present in 0.47 when this is released "sometime soon".

Loriel