Xbox UI!

Feedback on past, current, and future development.

Do You Want This OPTIONAL Feature?

Yes!
68%
No!
32%

Total votes: 74

xXShaddowTXx

Re: Xbox UI!

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Necrod wrote:
xXShaddowTXx wrote: I do it all the time with everything! Learning Blender, learning Gimp/photoshop, learning HTML , etc.

If you know some HTML maybe you know how to change the colors of the letters on bottom of the page (how many users are online etc.)?

http://i50.tinypic.com/35l6qld.png

I believe that should be an actual option in the Administrator's control panel [for the LEAD administrator IE: Founder] You can change the color of everyone's usergroup in there.

It's a CSS change which I do know a fair amount about, but why custom code it when there's an option! Ha ha!

Getting started with learning C++ :) I'm excited. Found a great tutorial site and I can't wait!!!
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

I tried searching for that option, but couldn't find anywhere :S

Btw this is a good site http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Necrod wrote:I tried searching for that option, but couldn't find anywhere :S

Thank you :) I'm actually following tutorials here: http://www.learncpp.com but I noticed that that site has a lot of good tutorials as well. It's good to have choices. Also they have a forum... sweet!

Thank you!

To everyone else...

Sorry to anyone I may have offended, annoyed, or hurt in any way with my ridiculous commenting on the support of this website and the lack of interest in my idea. My actions were wrong and I know that. I want to share that I can see your reasons were justified for saying no and that this isn't necessarily a "needed/wanted" idea. Thus me simply getting angry due to no-one agreeing was childish and disrespectful. The support of this website is fine. I'm sorry.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I skimmed over both tutorials quickly. Quite possible that I missed something, but here are my findings:
It would strongly warn against using this tutorial. It will teach you C++ with some inaccuracies (admittedly minor ones). But it won't teach you good C++.
Thank you :) I'm actually following tutorials here: http://www.learncpp.com
Much better. But still not great. There are at least some sections in it where I would loudly protest. More importantly, it is incomplete (e.g. the treatment of the STL is a joke).

If you start with any of these tutorials on OpenMW, that will not make you many friends, because people (mostly me, I guess) will have to spend a lot of time cleaning up after you.

To be honest, I yet have to see a C++ tutorial that does not suck in some way.

A resource that is quoted often is the book Thinking in C++. There is even a free legal download available. I haven't read it myself, but I have heard only good things about it so far.
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Zini wrote:I skimmed over both tutorials quickly. Quite possible that I missed something, but here are my findings:
It would strongly warn against using this tutorial. It will teach you C++ with some inaccuracies (admittedly minor ones). But it won't teach you good C++.
Thank you :) I'm actually following tutorials here: http://www.learncpp.com
Much better. But still not great. There are at least some sections in it where I would loudly protest. More importantly, it is incomplete (e.g. the treatment of the STL is a joke).

If you start with any of these tutorials on OpenMW, that will not make you many friends, because people (mostly me, I guess) will have to spend a lot of time cleaning up after you.

To be honest, I yet have to see a C++ tutorial that does not suck in some way.

A resource that is quoted often is the book Thinking in C++. There is even a free legal download available. I haven't read it myself, but I have heard only good things about it so far.
I do learn from mistakes, and I doubt I will be involved in the project until I am efficient in C++. I didn't expect this tutorial site to be the only tutorial site I use, I'm just going to get a handle on the basics with it. Etiquette and clean coding will come of practice later on I assume.

The book on the other hand, I'll have to give it a read after I finish the tutorials on this site [do you think it would be a good idea for me to continue on this site at all, I think it's a great site... and anything I learn can be unlearned. I'll remember what you said about the STL is a joke chapter].
Zini

Post by Zini »

Etiquette and clean coding will come of practice later on I assume.
This is not about etiquette and clean code. At least in some places what these tutorials teach is simply bad and can seriously harm a code base if it slips through code review.

I guess you can start with the second one, if you really like. You will still need to spend some time afterwards to unlearn certain things from it and than learn the correct methodology (plus filling up plenty of holes).

For the first tutorial, avoid it. Really. It won't do you any good.
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Zini wrote:
Etiquette and clean coding will come of practice later on I assume.
This is not about etiquette and clean code. At least in some places what these tutorials teach is simply bad and can seriously harm a code base if it slips through code review.

I guess you can start with the second one, if you really like. You will still need to spend some time afterwards to unlearn certain things from it and than learn the correct methodology (plus filling up plenty of holes).

For the first tutorial, avoid it. Really. It won't do you any good.
Ha ha alright then. What do you recommend I avoid learning that you saw in your skimming? And can you recommend a site or something where you learned C++?
Zini

Post by Zini »

And can you recommend a site or something where you learned C++?
I started learning C++ from a couple of different sources. None of them was very good. But since I was already good at OOP at that time and also extremely good at learning new programming languages in general and identifying software development related bullshit, it was not a major problem.
Afterwards I started reading lots of books. I could list them here, but I doubt you want to get into that. This stuff is expensive. I've spend the equivalent of at least 400 Euro on it.
What do you recommend I avoid learning that you saw in your skimming?
No promise about completeness, but:

2.9 is really bad. You can skip it completely.

Then we have 6.1, 6.2 and 6.5. Not wrong actually. Just remember that you will rarely use anything from these chapters. In almost all cases a std::vector is the correct solution instead.

10.4 is somewhat pointless, since it teaches you to code something that is readily available as part of the STL.

And you can skip all of 8.x if you want, at least for OpenMW. This chapter is about the new C++ standard and we aren't using it (there isn't a single compiler yet that supports it in a satisfying manner).

Edit. Oops. That is not 8.x, but B.x.
xXShaddowTXx

Post by xXShaddowTXx »

Zini wrote:
And can you recommend a site or something where you learned C++?
I started learning C++ from a couple of different sources. None of them was very good. But since I was already good at OOP at that time and also extremely good at learning new programming languages in general and identifying software development related bullshit, it was not a major problem.
Afterwards I started reading lots of books. I could list them here, but I doubt you want to get into that. This stuff is expensive. I've spend the equivalent of at least 400 Euro on it.
What do you recommend I avoid learning that you saw in your skimming?
No promise about completeness, but:

2.9 is really bad. You can skip it completely.

Then we have 6.1, 6.2 and 6.5. Not wrong actually. Just remember that you will rarely use anything from these chapters. In almost all cases a std::vector is the correct solution instead.

10.4 is somewhat pointless, since it teaches you to code something that is readily available as part of the STL.

And you can skip all of 8.x if you want, at least for OpenMW. This chapter is about the new C++ standard and we aren't using it (there isn't a single compiler yet that supports it in a satisfying manner).

Edit. Oops. That is not 8.x, but B.x.
Fantastic! Thank you very very much :) I'll skip and skim like you said. I'm just excited I'm finally learning it, I've been wanting to learn C++ for.. 2 years I think. I kept looking at it as this colossal beast that wouldn't be possible for me to learn. I doubt that's the case though.

Made the Hello World program and messed around with some other things such as string vars [which I did my own way so I don't know if it's right :P ] that haven't been mentioned yet. Things are looking up, at least on the console coding side of things. Ha ha! Can't wait to make a little text based game.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

xXShaddowTXx wrote:To everyone else...

Sorry to anyone I may have offended, annoyed, or hurt in any way with my ridiculous commenting on the support of this website and the lack of interest in my idea. My actions were wrong and I know that. I want to share that I can see your reasons were justified for saying no and that this isn't necessarily a "needed/wanted" idea. Thus me simply getting angry due to no-one agreeing was childish and disrespectful. The support of this website is fine. I'm sorry.

Cool, glad you are getting on the ball and having a go at things. :)

What I meant (that you might have missed) was that you can use the analog to control the view/mouse aspect while using the dpad to control WASD movement.

I follow you on your logic about using the analog for movement as well, but I still have doubts as to the usefulness of that setup which is why I suggested the above which is doable now without coding.

Anyway, I wish you luck. :)