Random landtexture rotation

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
unelsson

Random landtexture rotation

Post by unelsson »

This could bring some life to landtextures, but isn't Morrowind-style, but rather something for mods and new games. It could however achieve this effect and reduce texture tiling: https://youtu.be/-VgtSL5ZpYc?t=176
Ravenwing

Re: Random landtexture rotation

Post by Ravenwing »

This would be an awesome feature. I'm curious why you don't consider it to be Morrowind-style? Seems like this helps with any "natural" texture.

Wondering how feasible implementing this would be though. Presumably the video is for generating a texture that gets baked on at the end, so for this to be useful with existing textures, it would need to happen at runtime correct? (perhaps that's what you meant by not useful for Morrowind) If it's screwing around with UV magic at runtime it would be interesting to see what the performance impact is. Glad I know about this Blender plugin regardless!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Seems like something in-engine to 'spice' things up a bit so that we don't have that effect.

Keep in mind, this is above and beyond Bethesda games, it's notoriously bad in Oblivion for example.

Doing this on-the-fly in OpenMW would be heavy work on CPU side but the results could be cached to speed up cell transitions.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Interesting. Didn't some Morrowind land textures actually look obviously tiled, like the _land_base texture? I think there may be some application to Morrowind itself.
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

psi29a wrote: 18 Dec 2020, 12:22 Seems like something in-engine to 'spice' things up a bit so that we don't have that effect.

Keep in mind, this is above and beyond Bethesda games, it's notoriously bad in Oblivion for example.

Doing this on-the-fly in OpenMW would be heavy work on CPU side but the results could be cached to speed up cell transitions.
I agree it could get out of hand fast, especially if want it super configurable like the node system in Blender, but I don't see why it should be specifically CPU intensive. You could do at least the texture rotation, masked color variations, and masked detail textures entirely inside a shader.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I've personally been using technique three as described in https://iquilezles.org/www/articles/tex ... tition.htm for most of my texture needs, tends to do quite well and doesn't require anything but a shader and some setup.

Haven't tested the results with using Morrowinds textures - on either this or just regular rotation/offsetting, though it shouldn't be hard to do such a thing as a simple version can be done entirely in-shader for both.
lysol

Post by lysol »

We need this. ^
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

Wow such a (seemingly) simple thing but that would make the ground look so much better from a distance. The only problem I can see is with textures that weren't meant to be tiled with random rotations which could cause obvious seems where they meet.