Keybinds for view distance changing

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
BaronPampa

Keybinds for view distance changing

Post by BaronPampa »

I've replayed Gothic 2 recently, and it had a neat feature: pressing keys from F1 to F4 would change the view distance. I think it would be nice to have in openmw since high FPS in outdoor areas can fall greatly in cities. High view distance isn't needed in most cities anyway since buildings obstruct the view, and lowering view distance can help performance in them greatly. Switching to menu to change it each time is time-consuming and interrupting, having a keybind for it is not seamless, but usable.
silentthief

Re: Keybinds for view distance changing

Post by silentthief »

Hello,

Figured I'd reply. This is not a bad idea, and I for one want several different camera views, but I think that this feature request has gotten the after the 1.0 release status. Meaning many things will be dehardcoded, and most of the enhancement or alterations from how vanilla MW runs will be discusses/worked on.

ST
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If we're going to support things like this, it would probably be nicer from a user's perspective if we did it dynamically instead of making them push buttons. We've actually got changing the shadow distance based on framerate on our issue tracker already.
Mantar

Post by Mantar »

Definitely. One of the things I miss from my old Windows install of Morrowind was an FPS optimizer addon that would dynamically adjust view distance depending on framerate. Any time I pass through Old Ebonheart I find myself wishing OpenMW had that.