new guy with some question

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
penguinroad

new guy with some question

Post by penguinroad »

Hi, my name is Hendra from Indonesia. I'm new here. Just register today. First I want to say how amaze I am with what this team has done. It's amazing and videos on youtube shows a lot of promises. I am impressed and hardly can wait to play it.

I was suggested to come here and ask my self when I was asking in Morrowind subreddit about OpenMW. So here I am with my question and

1. I admit, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. Is there a possibilities to change font in morrowind to something easier to read and possibly bigger size? I just wish it's possible to do so perhaps by editing config file or something?

2. an option to disable inventory menu when battle, I'm just thinking it would make us prepare before battle since we can't stop time just to drink potion

3. an option to make time not stop in dialog and inventory menu? If #2 is not possible I think having this would achieved same desired effect

4. seperate map from inventory? I don't see why map needs to be in same window with stats and inventory. A full screen map should works better than current map. And perhaps another shortcut to map, like M ?

5. link in journal to index and quest list, like tabs perhaps. So we don't need to click Options to go to index only then to click another to display quest list. I still like journal to be first page

I'm eager to know what developers think about these. Thanks in advance
ElderTroll

Re: new guy with some question

Post by ElderTroll »

Welcome to the forum. :) We'd love to have someone translate the news into Indonesian!

Your suggestions involve changing Morrowind, so they will not be included or worked on for the foreseeable future. All releases up to 1.0 are focused on making Morrowind, its expansions and mods playable using the OpenMW engine. In order to make this project worthwhile our focus must be first and foremost on making the game playable.

However, I think everyone involved with the project is excited for improvements like the ones you've mentioned. So, after version 1.0 you'll start seeing more options and improvements included in future releases. And heck, it's open source, so do with it what you want!
penguinroad

Post by penguinroad »

Thanks. I see, you're right about finishing vanilla feature first. We want to get it playable as soon as possible so anything not in original has to wait. I just hope it wouldn't be too hard to do. And I'm glad you guys seems to make a good progress and ready to do another release. I'd be sure to download and give it a try

about translation, I'm not really sure I should help since I usually have problem with commitment about project like translation. My translation for Bodhi Linux wiki end up half way... err, not even half to be truth (this reminds me, guess I'd translate one or two page today for them). I don't want to repeat mistake as it will make this site looks bad. Unless you guys are ok when suddenly I go missing for a while which I assume unacceptable?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The font OpenMW is using is a lot more clear and crisp than the original, though whether or not the size is adjustable, I don't know.

The each menu window in vanilla Morrowind has the "pin" control, which allows you to keep that window open after you exit out of the overall menu system. This allows you to keep the map open while you run around Morrowind. This feature (or the backend at least, idk) was just added to OpenMW recently.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I believe you can change the font height quite easily now, you only need to edit openmw.font.xml in resources/mygui. Look for Property key="Size"
penguinroad

Post by penguinroad »

Now that's a good news, I can't play Morrowind without Font mod since it's so hard to read :)

I don't really mind about the map, I play Morrowind since it's released so I'm used to it. It's just because I never use pin feature so fullscreen map feels better for me. But vanilla menu? No problem at all

also while we're at it? what about shortcut to "take all" in transfer window? it will make gathering alchemy ingredient so much easier on hand
Chris

Post by Chris »

Greendogo wrote:The each menu window in vanilla Morrowind has the "pin" control, which allows you to keep that window open after you exit out of the overall menu system. This allows you to keep the map open while you run around Morrowind. This feature (or the backend at least, idk) was just added to OpenMW recently.
I think what he's asking is that the map have an option to be in a separate section from all the other GUI windows (stats, inventory, etc). So you can have a fullscreen (or close to it) map, but have it not get in the way of the game or other windows.

I think I like the idea of being able to split some of the windows into separate "views", so they're not all packed into one screen.

I also second the idea of being able to keep the game moving while in dialog or the menus. Dialog may need a bit of work to make sure nothing happens to the person you're talking with while the dialog is open (least of which that they don't move away), and so may actually need to be mod-controlled... like a GMST setting a mod can flip after making any necessary script adjustments.
penguinroad

Post by penguinroad »

Chris wrote:I think what he's asking is that the map have an option to be in a separate section from all the other GUI windows (stats, inventory, etc). So you can have a fullscreen (or close to it) map, but have it not get in the way of the game or other windows.

I think I like the idea of being able to split some of the windows into separate "views", so they're not all packed into one screen.

I also second the idea of being able to keep the game moving while in dialog or the menus. Dialog may need a bit of work to make sure nothing happens to the person you're talking with while the dialog is open (least of which that they don't move away), and so may actually need to be mod-controlled... like a GMST setting a mod can flip after making any necessary script adjustments.
That's right. Perhaps bind M key to display only maximized map window?

Or M key in menu to maximize map window and bring it front while pressing it again would return it to prev size. I think this one is easier to make?
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'd prefer being able to have separate views, that the individual windows can be moved between. That way I could have the inventory and magic in one view, the map in another, and the skills in another. Or maybe the inventory and magic in one view, and map and skills in another. Or all four in their own view. You could have shortcuts (M for map, I for inventory, etc) that will automatically switch to the view that contains the particular window.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

what about shortcut to "take all" in transfer window? it will make gathering alchemy ingredient so much easier on hand
Already in vanilla MW.

Hold shift while clicking on item stack to "take all" without transfer window. Press ctrl while clicking to take only one item from the stack without transfer window.