Can we see outside from interior cells please?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DreamBliss

Can we see outside from interior cells please?

Post by DreamBliss »

A couple of things killed the immersion of Morrowind for me... One is that rain passes right through anything solid in the game. Not sure about OpenMW. So I could never make a house with the interior and exterior all in one house, one location, somewhere in the world. Plus I imagine the engine couldn't handle it - that is why Bethesda chose to do interior cells.

The other one, and this is a biggie, is that I could not see outside from inside an interior cell, through a window. But I was thinking about this, and it couldn't be that hard to code or taxing on resources, could it? Just have some way to link windows, for those who want this, so when you are inside and looking out a window, you can see outside through the window in the world it is linked to. Is this possible? Also allow light to pass through if possible.

Of course we would need new window models, unless how it is applied could overlay on existing textures. But that is my request, it would boost immersion so much!
1Zero

Re: Can we see outside from interior cells please?

Post by 1Zero »

Interior cells were a necessity due to the limitations of console hardware back in the days. Ever since, they kept that exterior-interior cell division for every released BGS game.
Take for example Whiterun's Dragonreach. Its interior volume is bigger than what you would calculate for the volume based upon its exterior proportions- the scaling does not match (IRL, this is only possible and noticeable to a higher degree in regions where spacetime is heavily curved like in neutron stars or black holes, but that's besides the topic).You can't really embed the interiors into the exterior cells window because the interior proportions aren't scaled to match the exteriors.
There are hack around possibilities, but nothing that would be trivially implementable.
DreamBliss

Post by DreamBliss »

Well an interior window linked to an exterior window would work. It wouldn't matter the scaling then. The interior windows would be looking outside through the exterior windows, and visa versa.

I guess if someone really went all out Doctor Who and designed a house with an interior that is a whole lot larger than the exterior model that would break realism. But for those of us who try out best to match the layout, floorplan and size it would be nice.

I know the Gothic series of games never worried about interior/exterior cells for houses. And they go back almost as far as the oldest Elder Scrolls games. So it seems like the way Bethesda chose to do Morrrowind has to do more with a game engine limitation than anything else. But OpenMW is a new engine, hopefully designed to be more capable.

I did see that someone else requested this some time back, so I will leave it at that.
mjmax

Post by mjmax »

If we stick with the portals approach to inner/outer mismatch:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6167

...you could probably make this work with something as simple as a manual mapping from inside to outside windows. There would probably be exceptions where there's no logical window mapping, but I'm sure you could make up something reasonable in those cases (like interpolating between two other windows).