[Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Post Reply
archmagus501
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Oct 2019, 18:58

[Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Post by archmagus501 » 13 Oct 2019, 20:20

The one thing which I find the most annoying about the PC version of Morrowind is that you have to click and drag any equipment or tool you want to equip or use, respectively, onto your character, which can be quite a pain if you've been arrested and have to re-equip all of your clothing, jewelry, armor and your weapon. Even a Shift+Left Click would suffice. Some other QoL changes (Porting some features over from the MCP) which would be nice:
-The ability to use magic (items or spells) when wielding any weapon or hand to hand
-The ability to use magic items without the need to equip them (or just restrict it to jewelry)
-Add a cooldown timer to the use of magic items
-Search for a spell/enchantment effect in appropriate windows, like the spells list
-Quality based potion icons/models

User avatar
Jemolk
Posts: 224
Joined: 20 Mar 2017, 02:12
Location: Sadrith Mora

Re: [Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Post by Jemolk » 18 Oct 2019, 08:43

archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
The one thing which I find the most annoying about the PC version of Morrowind is that you have to click and drag any equipment or tool you want to equip or use, respectively, onto your character, which can be quite a pain if you've been arrested and have to re-equip all of your clothing, jewelry, armor and your weapon. Even a Shift+Left Click would suffice. Some other QoL changes (Porting some features over from the MCP) which would be nice:
I doubt too many QoL changes get incorporated into the engine too soon, just so you understand. Most without a dev explicitly interested in that feature will probably need to wait for the post-1.0 dehardcoding for mods to change them. This one specifically, however, may need to have a variant implemented for full controller functionality (rather than having it emulate the mouse).
archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
-The ability to use magic (items or spells) when wielding any weapon or hand to hand
Quick casting is something a number of people, myself included, have requested in the past, and been turned down. Just warning you so you don't get your hopes up too much. But who knows, maybe someone has come along who's interested or someone's changed their mind. Doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
-The ability to use magic items without the need to equip them (or just restrict it to jewelry)
Been playing Daggerfall Unity lately, and this would not only be really convenient, it'd also actually constitute a shift back to the way Daggerfall dealt with magic items. Even if we restrict it to jewelry to avoid the farcical idea of holding up a skirt or robe to invoke its power, it'd be overall a good thing to have as an option I think.
archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
-Add a cooldown timer to the use of magic items
We actually have something better in the latest dailies/nightlies -- making magic items use casting animations. It avoids the awkward feeling of unresponsiveness that annoyed the heck out of me win the MCP option and eventually led to me disabling it, but puts suitable limits on spamming magic item use. The other cost is the effect not being instantaneous, though, which wasn't a factor in the MCP version.
archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
-Search for a spell/enchantment effect in appropriate windows, like the spells list
Yes please! Oh please yes! Been wanting something like this for a while, especially because I like to give actual names to my spells.
archmagus501 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 20:20
-Quality based potion icons/models
I'd be nice, but I doubt anyone's going to spend time on it right now.

archmagus501
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Oct 2019, 18:58

Re: [Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Post by archmagus501 » 21 Oct 2019, 17:49

I was thinking more of the searching through the spellmaking and enchanting menus.

silentthief
Posts: 432
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 01:20
Location: Currently traversing the Ascadian Isles

Re: [Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Post by silentthief » 21 Oct 2019, 23:48

Original Morrowind supported setting hotkeys (https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... ey_scheme/)

I am not sure if this is yet implemented in openmw but there was discussion for this being done with lua (tes3MP) here -> viewtopic.php?t=5753

It also mentions the idea of expanding hotkeys to include more than just the 1-9 set. (Not sure if that idea was what you were referring to or if that would help you though)

ST the implemental
(edited several times for clarity -ST)
"You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?."

archmagus501
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Oct 2019, 18:58

Re: [Suggestions] Quick Equipping For Equipment and Tools (+ Other QoL)

Post by archmagus501 » 22 Oct 2019, 00:23

silentthief wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 23:48
Original Morrowind supported setting hotkeys (https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... ey_scheme/)

I am not sure if this is yet implemented in openmw but there was discussion for this being done with lua (tes3MP) here -> viewtopic.php?t=5753

It also mentions the idea of expanding hotkeys to include more than just the 1-9 set. (Not sure if that idea was what you were referring to or if that would help you though)

ST the implemental
(edited several times for clarity -ST)
I was referring to in your inventory window when you select a piece of equipment (not a consumable like a potion or alchemy ingredient.), it equips the item right away instead of having to drag it onto your character model. Equipping something while you have something else already in that slot will automatically put it back in your inventory. In the case of ammunition, the entire stack will be equipped. If you're looking into a container, pressing shift or ctrl will transfer all or one of an item, respectively. If you want to drop an item, long click an item and drag it off a menu.

Post Reply