Better NPC dialogue - flag previously heard topics; no need to click "Continue"

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Jemolk

Re: Better NPC dialogue - flag previously heard topics; no need to click "Continue"

Post by Jemolk »

claudekennilol wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 20:18
dmbaturin wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 01:11 It may be feasible to check if there's only one option and auto-choose it, but I'm not sure if there can't be any negative consequences.
It may be feasible but shouldn't be done. I can't think of any offhand, but I'm sure there are mods that have "back and forth" style of conversation between the PC and NPC where you're just clicking your response--auto-accepting single responses in this case would put a giant wall of dialog on the screen at all at once and kill any semblance of a conversation.
Agreed. I can't remember which mods, but I'm quite sure I've played some of them that do exactly this. This isn't something that should be done engine-side. I think Rise of House Telvanni and/or some of the LGNPC modules may do this?
mikeprichard

Re: Better NPC dialogue - flag previously heard topics; no need to click "Continue"

Post by mikeprichard »

I agree that if there's a mod adding single dialogue choices other than simply "Continue", it would be anti-RP to remove those prompts for that mod - those conversations were crafted by the mod to appear to involve the player character in a two-way dialogue, rather than the one-way monologue the "Continue" prompts represent. That said, the "Continue" prompts as actually implemented in the vanilla game remain mostly pointless, as I've described above.