Custom music with its own folders for locations

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Avoozl

Custom music with its own folders for locations

Post by Avoozl »

I was thinking about how Oblivion introduced two new sets of music for dungeons and cities with their own folders in the games directory and it made me wonder if OpenMW might introduce the ability to add custom music with folders for locations. I personally would love such as addition, I've always wanted dungeons, caves and tombs to have their own music in Morrowind, I even want to see how well Oblivion's dungeon music would work with Morrowind, I always loved that dark ambient music.
Husaco

Re: Custom music with its own folders for locations

Post by Husaco »

I'm pretty sure there are already plans to dehardcode playlist selection post-1.0. You can already add/remove whatever tracks you want from the Data Files/Music folders if you get bored of listening to the same dozen tracks at least, there's just no option to change when they play outside of combat/non-combat yet.
Avoozl

Post by Avoozl »

Husaco wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 08:06 I'm pretty sure there are already plans to dehardcode playlist selection post-1.0.
Well that's wonderful to hear, for some reason I couldn't find information on this when I last looked.
Husaco wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 08:06You can already add/remove whatever tracks you want from the Data Files/Music folders if you get bored of listening to the same dozen tracks at least
Yeah, this I already know, it's just the ability to set custom music for particular locations is what I was hoping for.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Zini has plans for this in the post-1.0 document IIRC. The issue for supporting it already is that you'd need to add things to the esp/omwaddon-format, making it incompatible with vanilla Morrowind, and we will not do this until post-1.0.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

lysol wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 09:20 Zini has plans for this in the post-1.0 document IIRC. The issue for supporting it already is that you'd need to add things to the esp/omwaddon-format, making it incompatible with vanilla Morrowind, and we will not do this until post-1.0.
While this is a good thing, is this already possible? I believe that you already can do this. There were vanilla morrowind playlists/music player mods which I think used the PlaySound script. I could be wrong, but I wonder if this could not already be done?

ST
Chris

Post by Chris »

silentthief wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 14:29 While this is a good thing, is this already possible? I believe that you already can do this. There were vanilla morrowind playlists/music player mods which I think used the PlaySound script. I could be wrong, but I wonder if this could not already be done?
You can sort of do it, but it's very hacky as it completely overtakes the original music system. You basically need massive scripts that are constantly checking where the player is and what's going on, and periodically plays from a set of a music tracks based on what it detects. However, it's not as simple as just having different folders for different types of places, and the only vanilla-compatible (non-MWSE) mod I've seen for this is BtB's edit of Better Music System, which uses a fixed list of filenames for each "playlist" and a fixed duration between songs.
Stomy

Post by Stomy »

I've thought for a while that adding native support for MUSE's format would be a better option than expanding the ESM format, avoiding a compatibility break. We could even just choose to do both post-1.0. Does anyone know if Skyrim had something like this embedded in the game files to play unique music in (for example) Sovngarde? Or if it was just hard-coded into the engine?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

In Skyrim, playlists are a separate record type. Each region and cell can have a playlist assigned.
tweb1984

Post by tweb1984 »

Sorry to revive an old topic but I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

If i choose to replace the music files int he game I heard they have to be mp3 and a certain bitrate or else it could cause issues at higher bitrate. Does this still hold true when using the openmw exe?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If OpenAL can play it, we can play it. There might be more to it than that, though.