Object mechanic for item wall mounting, bookshelf book plasing and other item placement on objects

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Zoran

Object mechanic for item wall mounting, bookshelf book plasing and other item placement on objects

Post by Zoran »

First of all I would like to say that this suggestion is of course intended for 1.0+ versions. This is a possible future future. I would like to see a future implemented that enables moders to make mods that can have wallmounded objects for weapons, shields and other items, easy placeable book on a shelf, easy placeable items on various surface objects in game, mannequins for armor storage est. You know what I am talking about, same things that Skyrim has for player houses. It’s best that it should be a object property that moders can use to make some in game objects holders for items. This would be great for player house mods.

Last edited by Zoran on 07 Mar 2019, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
cc9cii

Re: Object mechanic for item wall mounting, bookshelf book plasing and other item placement on objects

Post by cc9cii »

I don't think this would be too difficult to do, but of course NIF models that are similar to Skyrim weapon racks, etc, would be required. To avoid purchasing Skyrim just to have weapon display, someone will have to create said models from Morrowind assets.

I think these are driven by scripts so someone will have to write them as well. But I guess there would be many talented modders who can create such models and scripts, anyhow.

EDIT: upon reflection I may have spoken too soon. There will need to be a way to save the placed item info - which will probably make the save file incompatible. There's bound to be other complications as well.
Zoran

Re: Object mechanic for item wall mounting, bookshelf book plasing and other item placement on objects

Post by Zoran »

It will surely be more complicated than we, the common folk, think it will. I posted this to start the idea, and hopefully one day it will be in the game. :)
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Could you maybe hack it together right now by having a non-moving actor shaped like a weapon rack and getting them to wield the weapon? That's how Skyrim's mannequins work, so it's not impossible that it's how the regular weapon racks work, too.
Sagacity

Post by Sagacity »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 19:04 Could you maybe hack it together right now by having a non-moving actor shaped like a weapon rack and getting them to wield the weapon? That's how Skyrim's mannequins work, so it's not impossible that it's how the regular weapon racks work, too.
I don't believe that's how it works, as there's still the question of how bookshelves work. I believe some form of system was put in place to actually automatically place items into the world by them being put into an object's inventory. It likely also had a way to freeze an items interaction with the physics system.

Practically, however, I don't think it'd matter whether or not we use an equip-based system. For mannequins it makes the most sense to simply use an inactive NPC however. This allows separate models for a wielded, non-wielded, and displayed item, as well as differing display methods. This is useful for things like armors and shields. It may also avoid applying FX to non-active items.