Request : Modify Armor Class Weight Ranges

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Modrev01

Request : Modify Armor Class Weight Ranges

Post by Modrev01 »

TESTool locks the weight range that different Armor classes (light, medium, heavy) fall into e.g. light armor helm weight is less than or equal to 3.0.

But what if I wanted to change the following weights :

Glass Helm Weight = 6
Glass Pauldron Weight = 3
Glass Cuirass Weight = 18
Glass Greaves Weight = 10.8
Glass Boots Weight = 11.4
Glass Tower Shield Weight = 10.5

Problem : Glass Helm is now considered medium armor

If I could modify the weight ranges of Armor classes then this wouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for your time & help.
nerevar009

Re: Request : Modify Armor Class Weight Ranges

Post by nerevar009 »

This can be done in the vanilla game by changing the GMSTs fLightMaxMod and fMedMaxMod, which are multiplied by one of the GMSTs iHelmWeight, iPauldronWeight, iCuirassWeight, iGauntletWeight, iGreavesWeight, iBootsWeight or iShieldWeight depending on which armor piece you're wearing.

iHelmWeight = 5, fLightMaxMod = 0.6; 5 * 0.6 = 3 for the max weight of light armor helmets.

iHelmWeight = 5, fMedMaxMod = 0.9; 5 * 0.9 = 4.5 for the max weight of medium armor helmets.

To make 6 the max weight for light armor helmets, change fLightMaxMod to 1.2 and fMedMaxMod to a larger number.

Formula on OpenMW wiki:
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... rmor_class

Edit: you could also raise the limit for just helmets by changing iHelmWeight to 10; 10 * 0.6 = 6.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Just be careful, since by altering the calculation to make a glass helm weight of 6 be classified as light armor, preexisting medium armor helmets with a weight of 6 will be changed to light armor too. The only truly "safe" way to handle it would be an option to specify the armor's skill as none/light/medium/heavy irrespective of its actual weight.

The weight classification for weapons and armor in these games is so arbitrary, it hurts. The weights given to armor in the vanilla game was more to set its skill than to portray any kind of relative realism for the weights they should have.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Well, the weight ranges are arbitrary, but that does mean that it's very consistent throughout all armor sets. Wouldn't providing the option to set it for each piece of armour individually be more arbitrary?
Chris

Post by Chris »

DecumusScotti wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 09:14 Well, the weight ranges are arbitrary, but that does mean that it's very consistent throughout all armor sets. Wouldn't providing the option to set it for each piece of armour individually be more arbitrary?
Yeah, but it will at least better enable developers to declare their intent directly to ensure some armor piece uses the desired skill instead of having to specify a specific weight value to make it use that skill. Especially for future mod/game capabilities, one could change the armor skills to not be weight-related but base it on some other aspect.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Or you could do the duct-tape madman solution like me and set both of those GMSTs to 0, prevent the unarmored/heavy armor skills from increasing/decreasing, and renaming them to "dummy skill" so that the player isn't discouraged from mixing armor classes.

This crazy BS also includes renaming light armor and medium armor skills to be new weapon skills and changing how all the weapon skills work in scripts so they reduce fatigue consumption when you swing your weapon and don't affect hit chance.
Modrev01

Post by Modrev01 »

I have posted this mod (Morrowind Revalued) on Morrowind Nexus, this mod could be used, for instance, as a stand alone mod for OpenMW mutliplayer.

I hope it's useful, thank you for your help.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Morrowind Revalued at Nexus.

It is nice you did your plugin, but I think the description is lacking. What problem did you see in the original design? Does it clash with our vision? Why your solution is better? What did you change?

Focus on the problems and how you solved it, so other people who see the same problems will use your mod.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I always used this old mod. It requires tes3cmd cleaning, but I think it has a similar objectives to yours.

Here is the link to the description of the changes.

Maybe you can take inspiration.