Optional Vanilla Water Shader

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
CaptainCosmotic

Optional Vanilla Water Shader

Post by CaptainCosmotic »

Dear openMW development Team,
I played Morrowind since its release and one of its outstanding features was the visuals of the DirectX 8 "quicksilver" water. I loved the look of it and I wish you could implement the optional feature to turn it back on.
Don't get me wrong, you did amazing work with the water shader like its right now but I'm really missing the old look.

Keep up your incredible work and thanks a lot for all you have done so far right now
and greetings from Germany
sincerely Captain Cosmotic
scrawl

Re: Optional Vanilla Water Shader

Post by scrawl »

I agree with you. Aside from 'nostalgia reasons', the cubic reflection used with the original shader works much better for the water ripple effect as well. It's on my todo list but I don't know when I'll get to it.
CaptainCosmotic

Nice to hear that its on the to do list.
Is there no way to implement the original shader from the Morrowind files?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

OpenMW => OpenSceneGraph => OpenGL => GLSL
Morrowind's version of NetImmerse => DirectX 8 (platform-locked by the way) => some proprietary pixel shader technique

i.e. no there isn't.
sjek

Post by sjek »

well. the quicksilver what seems to be directx hardware renderer (pipeline optimisation) used by 3D max / autodesk isn't possible but the shader method itself https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflectio ... be_mapping seems doable

writing the glsl shader for it and doing the math though. there's chosing rules in shadervisitor.cpp . simple test thought for runtime compiling is to change or empty content of watershader or others and start the game .p
otherwise you need to build the project to compile the shader

http://trac.openscenegraph.org/document ... 00857.html this one to get vectors is in includes at least but not sure which way the viewpos or getspecular for example is defined in shaders with or without vec3, vec4, etc.
http://trac.openscenegraph.org/document ... 00820.html this one is called to get stateattributes in stateset... have to play a bit cat and a mouse currently
nerevar009

Post by nerevar009 »

scrawl wrote:I agree with you. Aside from 'nostalgia reasons', the cubic reflection used with the original shader works much better for the water ripple effect as well. It's on my todo list but I don't know when I'll get to it.
Thanks for planning this scrawl, I've wanted this as well, but for performance reasons, as the beautiful water shaders of MGE XE and OpenMW kill my fps on my not-so-powerful laptop.
CaptainCosmotic

Is there any progress with the shader?
turtle09

Post by turtle09 »

Was this abandoned? Original water seems to be quite a jarring omission from a project which is otherwise (even at this stage) quite a thorough and accurate substitute to vanilla. I hope that it is added at some point, and that it is possible.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

It's not impossible, but the only graphics guy at the moment is AnyOldName3, and he's busy with shadows.
drummyfish

Post by drummyfish »

Capostrophic wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 07:40 It's not impossible, but the only graphics guy at the moment is AnyOldName3, and he's busy with shadows.
I can't compare to AnyOldName3 but I am mostly working on graphics and I worked on the water shader some time back - I'll take a look at this. I'd like to improve the current shader anyway. Not promising anything, just that I'll look - will probably be too lazy ATM if it seems like a lot of work :)