Is OpenGL ES still supported?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
MrDowntempo

Is OpenGL ES still supported?

Post by MrDowntempo »

I know there were or is an android port when OGRE was used. But is OpenGL ES still supported now that OSC is used instead? I have a chromebook that I run Arch Linux on and would love to have morrowind running on it. It's an Armv7h cpu with a relatively nice GPU, but one that only supports OpenGL ES 1,2 and 3.1 I'm certainly willing to compile it on my own, but I wasn't sure if there's a certain branch I need, or if I need to recompile openscenegraph as well. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
aesylwinn

Re: Is OpenGL ES still supported?

Post by aesylwinn »

It looks like there is an arch linux package of openscenegraph available for armv7h with OpenGL ES 2 support enabled.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

aesylwinn wrote:It looks like there is an arch linux package of openscenegraph available for armv7h with OpenGL ES 2 support enabled.
Ah cool! You must be refering to this? Any idea if OpenMW itself needs any compile time flags enabled, or should it just take full advantage of openscengraph, and let that package handle all the GLES stuff? Currently I'm getting an issue with mygui saying it's not supported, but it looks like there's a 3 year old version on github that has opengles support. Although, I dunno if I should be worried with how old it is.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

There may be some similarities with the process for compiling on android. It would probably be useful to look at the readme in the android port. I haven't compiled for arm myself, so I am unsure of what build options need to be ticked. I can see that there is an "OPENGL_ES" option in CMake.

Regarding your MyGUI problem: you'll probably need to compile MyGUI yourself using the dummy render system (CMake variable MYGUI_RENDERSYSTEM set to 1).
clort

Post by clort »

I hate to revive a necro thread, but It's the best place for it.

using OpenMW's OSG fork ("OSG on steroids") latest Change Mon, 28 Aug 2017 17:34:51 +0100 // Checked in by : Robert Osfield

Changing ccmake variables to

Code: Select all

OSG_GL1_AVAILABLE                OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL2_AVAILABLE                OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL3_AVAILABLE                OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GLES1_AVAILABLE              ON                                                                       
 OSG_GLES2_AVAILABLE              ON                                                                       
 OSG_GLES3_AVAILABLE              OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_DISPLAYLISTS_AVAILABLE    OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_FIXED_FUNCTION_AVAILABL   OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_LIBRARY_STATIC            OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_MATRICES_AVAILABLE        OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_VERTEX_ARRAY_FUNCS_AVAI   OFF                                                                      
 OSG_GL_VERTEX_FUNCS_AVAILABLE    OFF 
Doesn't get far :/

Code: Select all

[  0%] Building CXX object src/osg/CMakeFiles/osg.dir/Depth.cpp.o
/big/src/osg/src/osg/Depth.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void osg::Depth::apply(osg::State&) const’:
/big/src/osg/src/osg/Depth.cpp:34:5: error: ‘glDepthRangef’ was not declared in this scope
     glDepthRangef(_zNear,_zFar);
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/big/src/osg/src/osg/Depth.cpp:34:5: note: suggested alternative: ‘glDepthRange’
     glDepthRangef(_zNear,_zFar);
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
     glDepthRange
make[2]: *** [src/osg/CMakeFiles/osg.dir/build.make:583: src/osg/CMakeFiles/osg.dir/Depth.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:277: src/osg/CMakeFiles/osg.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:130: all] Error 2
Anyone have suggestions for what OSG ccmake settings might have best change for an opengl-es build?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The OSGoS fork should still work with GLES, but it might not have been tested for a long while. More weirdly, though, the commit you're building doesn't seem to be at the tip of any of our branches, so I don't actually know what you're building and it's possible you're just building a random commit that happens to be broken.

None of that is important, though, as OpenMW currently doesn't have native GLES support. What you should be doing is building GL4ES, then linking that as your OpenGL library with an OSG build that targets desktop OpenGL.