5K resolution, Quad-SLI and 10-core support?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
MithrilLeaf

Re: 5K resolution, Quad-SLI and 10-core support?

Post by MithrilLeaf »

ezze wrote:I still find funny that after a decade of listing the monitors' resolution with the vertical size they started with horizontal one because is BIGGER. 4k! 5k! So much more than 1080p! ;)
It is a tad bit asinine isn't it?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Oh, come on. It was just a little fun.

I am really the only one that find strange that from 1080 ads skipped to 4k?
When (a) it was actually only 3840 and (b) the vertical resolution was already an impressive 2160 twice, as much the full hd 1080.
MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf »

ezze wrote:Oh, come on. It was just a little fun.

I am really the only one that find strange that from 1080 ads skipped to 4k?
When (a) it was actually only 3840 and (b) the vertical resolution was already an impressive 2160 twice, as much the full hd 1080.
I was agreeing that it's silly though? Even rather confusing for people not in the know as my grandparents would attest to.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Most games don't even use (or for that matter, need, considering AAA games still have to run on consoles and PCs simultaneously and consoles are much more limited in their hardware than PCs) four cores properly, why even bother to think about 10? Of course, OpenMW is not limited by any dependence on console cycles, but you'd have to create content for it that would justify this amount of power first. The base game Morrowind, even with a great number of mods (which OpenMW is meant to be able to handle better than the original engine at some point), will most certainly never ever have need for that kind of power. And why Multithreading is not the solution for everything has already been explained. Alright, I realize that landmass mods like Tamriel Rebuilt are a lot more demanding than vanilla Morrowind, but as far as I know, one of the main goals of OpenMW is just to make it possible to play these kind of Mods with better performance. What they need is not better hardware, but a better engine.

Anyway, yes, this kind of hardware might be available for purchase, but at the moment (and for years to come) there is basically no need for anyone who is not involved in professional graphics business or something like that to have that kind of system. Also, DirectX12 and Vulkan API show that there is still unused potential in existing hardware, it just has to be accessed.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've just had an idea for a post-1.0 feature. When the scripting system is overhauled, allowing modders to explicitly create extra threads when it makes sense would basically alleviate any responsibility from OpenMW itself to try and multithread scripts - whenever anyone came along and made a thread like this, we could just point out that it's possible, but mod creators need to make use of it.
ezze

Post by ezze »

MithrilLeaf wrote:I was agreeing that it's silly though? Even rather confusing for people not in the know as my grandparents would attest to.
Oh, my bad. I thought you called my consideration a bit asinine.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

ezze wrote:I am really the only one that find strange that from 1080 ads skipped to 4k?
I agree, it's some ridiculous buzzword shit that is going on, designed to sell people screens that they don't need. Today we have HD ready, Full HD and Ultra HD. I wonder what's the next step. Hyper HD? Looking back it's kinda of adorable to see that VGA (640x480) was followed by *Super* VGA (800x600), but it's still happening.

At least "1080p" was somewhat honest.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We've also got QHD and 21:9 ultrawide variants of all of them.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

How will my supercluster of 64 raspberry pi's enhance my OpenMW experience?

No but for real it feels like CPU development is sort of hitting the wall in terms of raw power, it seems like the next logic step to making more powerful games is figuring out how to utilize more cores. I can see future games being designed for a few really powerful cores supplemented by a bunch of weaker ones (e.g. an i7 plus an RPi cluster). Imagine, for example, if each weak core was dedicated to, say, AI, so the number of intelligent NPCs you can simulate at once is dependent on how many cores you have.

I realize there's a certain point where you have too many threads and it actually becomes less efficient, and RPi's probably aren't the ideal choice to build a supplemental cluster of cores, but I think this would still be something to keep in mind. All we really need is some hardware designed specifically for this purpose, which won't happen (probably) until we have some software designed to take advantage of it.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

Damn, I wish I had a supercluster of 64 raspberry pies.

CPU development is hitting the wall. That's why many games have been utilizing the processing power of GPUs. Recently there was NVidia's simulated hair. There was also PhysX and Bullet3 that moved at least some physics processing to the GPU. From what I understand, one of the main issues with using GPUs is the cost of branching (using if/then statements essentially), which limits its potential.

I really like your idea about using your cluster to simulate multiple intelligent AIs. The idea of having NPCs that actually do things is pretty cool. That's a task that can be scaled fairly well and would benefit from more processing cores. If you were to implement some networking code, you may even be able to use your pie cluster.