Delay 1.0 untill all of MWSE is implemented

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DestinedToDie

Re: Delay 1.0 untill all of MWSE is implemented

Post by DestinedToDie »

commodore256 wrote: I'm not saying don't add the missing 1.0 features first, I'm saying maybe we should slightly adjust the 1.0 roadmap and get the graphical features and removing of hard coding go into OpenMW-future.
Shots fired! I do understand that some people want to play with their MWSE-dependant mods, but dehardcoding is one of those things I´m super excited about. I´d rather have the possibility of playing Morrowind (or some other game on OpenMW ;) )with a completely new ruleset rather than some mods that use hacked in scripting functions.

Also I have to say that Zini´s approach does seem harsh for MWSE users, but if it means the engine will run smoother, then I wouldn´t have it any other way.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

DestinedToDie wrote:
commodore256 wrote: I'm not saying don't add the missing 1.0 features first, I'm saying maybe we should slightly adjust the 1.0 roadmap and get the graphical features and removing of hard coding go into OpenMW-future.
Shots fired! I do understand that some people want to play with their MWSE-dependant mods, but dehardcoding is one of those things I´m super excited about. I´d rather have the possibility of playing Morrowind (or some other game on OpenMW ;) )with a completely new ruleset rather than some mods that use hacked in scripting functions.

Also I have to say that Zini´s approach does seem harsh for MWSE users, but if it means the engine will run smoother, then I wouldn´t have it any other way.
I must say I agree and I am quite certain that once OpenMW gets its own new features, people will probably end up making much better mods than would ever have been possible with MWSE.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

devs have set the roadmap. I've seen more than one project where feature-creep and "I wants" made the dev quit. I am all for expanding the game in many many different directions, but that will come when de-hardcoding the formulas (post v1)

ST the post-er
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Hi, I just talked on IRC with some people. I don't know a lot, but it could be really great if some proper scripting language with good access to code (so stuff wouldn't be hardcoded) was implemented, rather than relying on direct hacks of enhanced scripts for Morrowind.

For example, my pain is that Enchanting chance sucks and the equation is really wrong and useless as it does not describe chance in a weird way and one has to really break game to get nice chance of enchanting items.

So I would like to construct different equation, i.e., model, for enchanting chance, however this is not currently possible with CS as I have access only to two variables that describe how harder is to enchant items with X enchanting points (probably maximum and not actually used).

On IRC, I was told that currently the only chance is to modify source, recompile and use that (my own branch). This is however not ideal form of modding for various reasons, so some sort of scripting engine would be very welcomed.

Then, I believe, that extended number of mods could be rewritten from scratch with even better support and possibilities, that werent pertained by MWSE.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Try searching the forum first please:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2713
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

I do not care. I just want my stuff possible. Is it?
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

Colombo wrote:I do not care. I just want my stuff possible. Is it?
Yes, it is possible. See psi29a's link for a version of openmw that uses python as the scripting language (and it works!) You could theoretically change anything in the game using an interface like that. But just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. I did the python experiment just to learn how it would be possible to extend/embed python within openmw.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

To explain myself, because I was misunderstood. I do not care which way it is done, I want that thing done. I would prefer if I got access to good scripting language (which experience could translate into other stuff more easily). But I would be happy if there way a good way how to do stuff that I want done. For example modification of that enchanting equation or modification of alchemy process (where there would be button for "brew all"). Thank you.
sjek

Post by sjek »

yes. it could be done. but the matter is how anyway .?
hrchamp have written equations in the wiki in mwscript at least where applicable.

With operator for and attribute + reference handling would imagine that it would be kinda easy. details the devils as always but the extra buttons will probaply be possible with mygui layout editor if not extra scripting functions to make it more extentable (not needing to overwrite whole file for small change)

otherwise extra esp to contain all the morrowind equations or it's own file type as performance might be issue ?
was it intention to dehardcode all the game mechanic eguations if all goes well ?
interested to know
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

So, based on what has been said in the thread thus far, I gather that:
  • MWSE compatibility will not be implemented
  • To clarify, OpenMW (a) will not support MWSE itself as an external program, (b) nor will it natively support mods requiring MWSE
  • On a side note, if someone else wanted to implement native support for mods using MWSE, that would probably be allowed
  • Some kind of script extension is planned that will make MWSE obsolete, but won't be compatible with it
  • However, it may have to be developed after or along side the dehardcoding, which could take a while
While it is unfortunate that many of the more advanced mods that currently exist probably won't ever be made available to OpenMW, I think it's worth acknoledging that many of these mods are buggy messes. This can easily be seen by taking non-MWSE mods that alledgedly work in vanilla Morrowind and plugging them into the CS and seeing how many errors there are. Point is, even if the functionality of MWSE were implemented natively into OpenMW, most of these mods still wouldn't work propperly, as they are in many cases badly programmed. This isn't always the fault of the mod developer, either; Morrowind scripting can be a confusing and frustrating exercise sometimes.

Which brings us back to the subject of extending the scripting. The way I see it, there are two major paths we could take. One is to improve and extend MWScript, and the other is to abandon MWScript (relegating it to legacy Morrowind compatibility) and implement a new scripting system as the primary scripting method.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about here. I'm basing it mostly off of what I've heard thus far. I'm interested in learning C++ and helping to develop OpenMW (I recently tried to set up a dev environment, but couldn't get OpenMW to compile), but right now I don't actually know how to do any of what I'm about to talk about.)

The major point in favor of MWScript is that it gets interpreted natively by the engine. If an external scripting system such as Lua or Python were to be implemented, then they have to run through an extra layer of abstraction (the external Lua/Python interpreter), which would slow things down a bit. It also means that MWScript is expressly designed to work with OpenMW, whereas Lua and Python are not, and it would be possible for a Lua or Python script to have an undesireable and unintended effect.

The major point in favor of an external scripting system is that it would require much less effort to implement them into OpenMW, and they are already powerful and featureful. All we'd really have to do is add Lua or Python support, and bam, it's basically done. Whereas extending MWScript would require much more effort and time to add in the desired functionality, and even then it wouldn't come all at once but would have to develop over a long time. Also, as previously stated, MWScript is kind of a nightmare to work with, while many folks are comfortable with languages such as Lua and Python.

In my mind, the optimal outcome would be to upgrade MWScript so that it more closely resembles something like Python, making it much more pleasant to work with. Although (assuming we keep legacy compatiblity) this does create an awkward situation where you have basically two scripting languages in one (or rather, two different sets of syntax in one language). In any case, if we keep MWScript as our primary scripting engine, then I expect it to change significantly anyway as the engine is dehardcoded and new features are added.

Regardless,
Greywander wrote:But opinions are cheap. The dev team will do what they think is best, and if you or I want to see something different then we can learn C++ and either join the team or fork the project.
For myself, I'm eagerly looking forward to both the dehardcoding and the script extension. I have... plans...