Delay Dark Brotherhood attack without a mod

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
weouw

Delay Dark Brotherhood attack without a mod

Post by weouw »

Hi,

One of the most used mods in Morrowind is the one that delays the Dark Brotherhood's attack at lower levels because it doesn't have sense the way it works in vanilla.

Can we have this attack delayed by default in OpenMW without any mods? Maybe not for 1.0, but in the future.

Thanks.
Okulo

Re: Delay Dark Brotherhood attack without a mod

Post by Okulo »

I agree the original has a shitty design behind it, but there are some issues. For example, delay it until when? That's completely up to each individual mod. And since it's such an easy mod to install, it raises the question: Why include it?
weouw

Post by weouw »

I say add it to OpenMW but not as a mod, but as a default behaviour of the game. With every mod you add you are in danger of some incompatibilities and the game needs to load them. IMO "mini" mods like this that are made for fixing the vanilla experience could be added to OpenMW by default so the experience for the people that play the game for the first time to be better (or the people that don't want to bother or don't know about mods).

As for until when? we could all find a consensus on the forum with a poll, for example.

Just an idea of course.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

AFAIK, DB assassin appearing is a start-game-enabled script(s) added with Tribunal addon, and OpenMW cannot include any modifications of vanilla resources with itself. Of course you can make an openmwaddon file with edited script and publish it somewhere, be it OpenMW forums or Nexus (it's nonsense though)...
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Adding it as default behavior sounds horrible. :D What if it being default starts messing with the behavior of my scripts? Besides, this isn´t OpenMW-s purpose or job at all. It´s the right task for an .esm modification (be that .esp or .omwaddon) and you can already download the proper fix today.
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

The X-Box version delayed the assassin arriving until the PC is level 6, so it wouldn't be outlandish to include an option for delaying it.
ezze

Post by ezze »

But WHY with no mods? It's a little tweak that even I could mod. Twice even.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

MetaCthulhu wrote:The X-Box version delayed the assassin arriving until the PC is level 6, so it wouldn't be outlandish to include an option for delaying it.
Just a wild guess, but that was probably a change in the .esm files instead of a change in the engine.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

weouw wrote:I say add it to OpenMW but not as a mod, but as a default behaviour of the game.
I know, and my question still stands.
weouw wrote:With every mod you add you are in danger of some incompatibilities and the game needs to load them.
Same with any change you make to the engine.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sorry but even if this was implemented, it would be removed during the post 1.0 de-hardcoding. So why add it if we're just going to throw it away later? OpenMW is heading in the direction of being "game agnostic/game engine", so hacks and other things specific for _a_ game are going to be removed.