Themed music

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DrCuddlebug

Themed music

Post by DrCuddlebug »

I remembered when I was playing Daggerfall something I noticed was the soundtrack always felt much more thematic. Largely because there was a ton of tracks but also because they only played during certain moments in the game. Like dungeon tracks playing during dungeons, morning and day tracks playing during the day, city tracks playing in cities etc.

Something I noticed upon replaying Morrowind was that the OST always felt very static. Like regardless of whether you were in a dungeon, on the overworld or in a town the OST would play the same tracks. I know this had largely to do with how Morrowind loaded music into the game since all of the OST was in a folder marked Overworld and combat themes were in their own folder.

My question is with OpenMW would it be possible to script the engine so that it only plays tracks during certain moments or in certain locations? Since that's one flaw Morrowind always had to me that as good as Jeremy Soule's music was, it got repetitive overtime.
Chris

Re: Themed music

Post by Chris »

DrCuddlebug wrote:My question is with OpenMW would it be possible to script the engine so that it only plays tracks during certain moments or in certain locations? Since that's one flaw Morrowind always had to me that as good as Jeremy Soule's music was, it got repetitive overtime.
After 1.0, one of my plans is to provide more control over music playlists and playlist triggers, so that different areas and different scenarios can trigger different music. Not only area- and time-based music, but also weather-based music, and different (or no) combat music depending on the difficulty of the enemies.

There is an existing mod called Better Music System which uses a bunch of scripts to try to make the music more dynamic. Unfortunately it requires MWSE, and OpenMW doesn't support the scripting extensions that mod needs. There's a stripped down version floating around that removes the reliance on the MWSE functions, but it's far less dynamic and less flexible for adding in your own music.
DrCuddlebug

Post by DrCuddlebug »

Chris wrote:
DrCuddlebug wrote:My question is with OpenMW would it be possible to script the engine so that it only plays tracks during certain moments or in certain locations? Since that's one flaw Morrowind always had to me that as good as Jeremy Soule's music was, it got repetitive overtime.
After 1.0, one of my plans is to provide more control over music playlists and playlist triggers, so that different areas and different scenarios can trigger different music. Not only area- and time-based music, but also weather-based music, and different (or no) combat music depending on the difficulty of the enemies.

There is an existing mod called Better Music System which uses a bunch of scripts to try to make the music more dynamic. Unfortunately it requires MWSE, and OpenMW doesn't support the scripting extensions that mod needs. There's a stripped down version floating around that removes the reliance on the MWSE functions, but it's far less dynamic and less flexible for adding in your own music.
Thank you for answering my question. I truly hope for the day when I can see a Daggerfall-esque music plugin.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I´d definitely make use of this. Different soundtracks for different areas, separate battle theme for undead than for dragons, boss battle theme that stops when you slay it.