Option for fully "revealed" world map

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
dudezzz

Option for fully "revealed" world map

Post by dudezzz »

In Morrowind, the world map starts out as a uniform brown, but as you explore the map, square by square the brown is replaced with color and texture. For an example, look at Solstheim in the image below. It would be nice if there was a toggle to make the map colorful/fully "revealed" by default. Would this be possible?
scrawl

Re: Option for fully "revealed" world map

Post by scrawl »

You would have to load each cell because that's how the overlay is generated. So it would take a bit of time, but generally possible.
dudezzz

Post by dudezzz »

I think a one-time longer loading screen (preferably signalled with a warning near the option toggle) would be perfectly acceptable.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That's probably more a task for the scripting system instead of a simple flag. Post-1.0 we will need a way to reveal places on the map via script anyway. Combine that with a simple iteration over all cells in a worldspace and there is your reveal everything feature.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

IIRC, vanilla MW would add markers to your map if you heard about a location by talking to people or reading about it in a book. I can't remember if it "explored" the location, though, or if it only added the marker showing you where it was. Now that I think about it, I think it only added the marker, so I guess that's no help.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that the "testcells" console command in MW would teleport you through all of the exterior cells (which would always reveal the map as well). Does this work the same in OpenMW

SilentThief
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Well, I made a land bigger than Vvardenfel with Tesannvyn. Problem is it appears all blue on the map (it does on vanilla engine as well) and it's a bit hard to navigate. I guess I have to explore it all to see where I am on the map (reveals the textures). This option would be nice when we eventually get it.

Furthermore, there seems to be no function to get the player's cell. GetPCCell checks if PC is in a certain cell, but doesn't return what cell he is in. And GetPos gets the position of an object, but again no cell name. Guess I'm exploring my whole map...
dudezzz

Post by dudezzz »

I tried the "testcells" console command in OpenMW but nothing happened, unfortunately.