OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
lysol

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by lysol »

Fus-roh-WOW
Kepler

Post by Kepler »

There seems to be hope :roll:
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Capostrophic wrote: 21 Oct 2020, 20:38 Skyrim SE BSA support has been added to the upstream code. It's not much but it's something that goes beyond what cc9cii implemented in his branch.
Curious... what are the key differences?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The big thing is lz4 compression.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Checking first to make sure I'm squeaky clean...

Admins (@Lgro and @sir_herrbatka according to "The Team" page),

Would it be ok if I use this thread to post notes and/or answer questions regarding my work with later TES games? I am getting some questions on Youtube comments that are too technical / difficult to answer there.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Either here, and rename your Subject to "TES Engine Research" or create a new topic with similar title.

I'll update the admins section, @Lgro is no longer with the project and @sir_herrbatka comes in from time to time but isn't fully engaged.

I think it is also time we distinguish between users of the forums and developers so that is clear who is part of the project, to prevent confusion as mentioned else where on reddit and youtube.
MattLR

Post by MattLR »

I realise this is jumping the gun somewhat, but I was wondering if there were any plans for how OpenMW is going to deal with integrating support for further Bethesda games?

I ask because it seems like Oblivion support efforts are getting along to the point where they'll probably start to attract community attention and new developers from the post Morrowind era who might not have been interested in the project before.

On a personal note I'd love to see an Oblivion with Morrowind gameplay type project at some point and that's obviously more likely to happen if the projects remain tightly integrated.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more.

Post by psi29a »

We would love nothing more than this... the Morrowind community is very niche in the larger Bethesda community. Having more interest means a larger pool of very dedicated and talented people who could help OpenMW immensely, especially with supporting later Bethesda games.

Much of the research being done here is with an older version of OpenMW, but slowly many of the things learned are being forward ported to modern OpenMW.

Our nightlies for example, have support for loading newer versions of the BSA format and experimental support for non-Morrowind NIFs (if you set the right flag in your config file).

OpenMW goal is to reach 1.0 and everything that entails, so our core focus is Morrowind. That doesn't mean work can't be done for those interested in other games. Post 1.0 we go in dehardcoding/refactor work to be less Morrowind centric; having Lua integrated here allows us to move much of the hard-coded game specific logic to scripts. Then work on other games can begin in earnest.

In OpenMW current state, it would be best just to get support for the NIF up to par, then later support newer ESM/ESP formats. That way we can have at least a good walking simulator for newer games (as tech demoed in films from cc9cii). Worry about game mechanics post 1.0
HydraSpectre1138
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/Hydra-Spectre

Re: OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Post by HydraSpectre1138 »

At this rate, it would be easier to add OpenMW support for Oblivion, Skyrim and the Fallout games than to add OpenMW support for Arena and Daggerfall.
Especially if we could somehow have an ultimate OpenMW version of Skyrim that has all DLC and Creation Club content for free, the best quality assets from the Special Edition (PC for graphics, PS4 for audio) and the Switch-exclusive Zelda content WITH optional VR support. As well as VR for all OpenMW games.
AnyOldName3

Re: OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We're not going to be able to do anything about providing creation club content or DLC for free. We're creating a from-scratch replacement for the engine (which copyright lets us do) not the content that engine consumes.