OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
cc9cii

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by cc9cii »

Thank you ponyrider0, great info - I don't have much time right now but I'll try what you've found asap
ponyrider0

Post by ponyrider0 »

FYI, I finally got around to making a GIMP python plugin to fully test and confirm the forward and reverse algorithm for compositing the Face Textures:

https://github.com/ponyrider0/gimp-facegen-plugin

screenshots here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/gimp-facegen-32657884

Code: Select all

(base texture) * (age map / 64) = (composited face texture)

(age map) = (composited face texture / base texture) * 64

Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

cc9cii, if you don't mind asking, how did you approach adding bezier/quadratic interpolation for quaternions, if you did at all? Seems like it's a significant part of animations/morphs sometimes, and its importance increases for later games.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Sorry about the late reply - I've had some life-changing events happen over the past few months and haven't been able to focus on anything.

I simply copied the implementation in nifskope (well, slightly modified to work within OpenMW, e.g. we don't use Qt objects in our low level stuff). It seemed to be the easiest way to get things going. The plan is to convert most of those to shaders (incl. skeletal animations) but I'm struggling very much and progress has been painfully slow, if any.

EDIT: see gl/glcontroller.cpp

EDIT2: I should add Ogre 1.x's quaternion interpolation can be a little limiting - I've not used Osg so can't comment
Kepler

Post by Kepler »

cc9cii, I think you and Сapo should join hands. :)

Could you share NIF and FacePose content with OpenMW developers?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's not like they're not talking to each other at all...
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Kepler wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 21:33 Could you share NIF and FacePose content with OpenMW developers?
That (i.e. sharing) is the plan. It's just that the code in its current state is not something that can be pushed to github. I'm not trying to be secretive - in fact I think I offered more than once to help anyone who wants any info on stuff I've done so far.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

cc9cii wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 08:41 That (i.e. sharing) is the plan. It's just that the code in its current state is not something that can be pushed to github. I'm not trying to be secretive - in fact I think I offered more than once to help anyone who wants any info on stuff I've done so far.
Would you be okay with having someone help you clean up the code so you can put it on GitHub?
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

That will require a lot of support to explain what is going on - I think it might be even more effort than just finishing things off myself. In any case the things that are slowing me down are the same things nobody has figured out yet (e.g. how to properly support FaceGen).

Also, I've pushed the code to read the ESM/ESP files a long time ago and as far as I know nobody has made any use of that - even though that code has far less dependencies than the NIF related code. So I don't know if there is any real urgency.

Having said all that I've settled down now and should be able to work on this for a while.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Nif support means people can start making mesh mods for Morrowind using less ancient tooling and features. That means it's immediately useful. ESM support means people can look at, but not yet play, Oblivion areas, which isn't much help until we also start working on Oblivion's mechanics and script support.